How much to cut?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O3YUKONXL

O3YUKONXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you're super busy. I can't afford to make a mistake, and need a pic of exactly where you suggest I cut. I never did tell you, but after ship, duty, brokerage ... they cost me $375 CDN. Man, wish we were closer.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Due to you having a xl I would cut 3/4 loop to start onlu from higher side. Due to being asolid axle and springs located so close to each other it will change both side readings. It only takes 10 minutes to tale out springs not a hard job since spring is so short.

unloosen endlink
Unloosen lower shock bolt
Pump up frame from one side and springs fall right out.

OP
OP
O3YUKONXL

O3YUKONXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, no prob there. Can't even count how many times I've R/R'd my springs. You say cut 3/4 of top loop off from higher ( driver) side only for now. That's understood. Do you mean smaller, or larger loop? Cut it straight off, then taper it level from that point? Or begin taper from 3/4 mark? I will wait for pic. Thanks for your patience and help.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
cut 3/4 of the first smaller loop . It then goes to a big loop but that wont be a issue becuase the lower smaller pigtail will keep it secure when full weight is on it. I also use heater hose cut in 1/2 and wrap on first coil if it makes noise. I dont have pictures of my springs cut only the 5305 that i cut. Just to give you a reference
2.jpg

OP
OP
O3YUKONXL

O3YUKONXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reference? Glad I waited to see what you mean - in that pic I would've called that two loops.
Excuse the springs that I am using for pic purpose only.
I was thinking you meant starting from very end then go 3/4 of a loop
2014-06-04 18.35.42.jpg
2014-06-04 18.36.30.jpg
Do I just leave blunt cut, or flatten or grind to level, kind of like this
2014-06-04 18.39.24.jpg

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
if you want to flatten you can but i wouldnt until you get it in and test it out. that being said you can start off with 1/2 loop and then see how it sits and then grind it down. I just dont want it to come down to much for you. I think you want like what 1/2 inch more in rear? Whatever you do just cut off the higher side because by doing that the opposite side will coem down a little also.

OP
OP
O3YUKONXL

O3YUKONXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Realize gonna have to wait til more time and get on hoist. Just had good look and measure. Mild bottom-out as is, appears to be from already needing that notch for P/H. Barely 2" now from highest point of bar to where it's marking cross-member. Need to do all three at once. Replace with shorter stops, do that notch, then cut that spring.

Junior209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey tony so i have your 6" on my tahoe how much do I cut on both side to lower it about 1/2 inch

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
id start with half loop. also id start cutting fromthe higher side.

Junior209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I cut half loop and what about the other side and will I be able to keep my helper bags

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenan