How much $$ do you put into your truck before saying enough is enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never bought a new car... I should not say that I bought a "new" Mustang it had 111 miles on it, and it was technically purchased by the Dealership, before I bought it, I am technically the second title owner, but actually the first owner...

You have a choice to make. I bought my 2007 Tahoe LTZ used for $25,000 with 70K miles on it, a friend of mine bought a Brand new 2009 Denali for $60,000 or whatever he paid for it. For the sake of the argument let us say he paid $50,000... So, one day we were riding in my "used" car and he said, "this is a nice truck." At that point I pointed out I paid 1/2 what he paid for his Denali. he just shrugged it off and said that he bought his new. At which point I asked him. If I put $25,000 more into my Tahoe, what kind of vehicle would I have? I could give it some bling, I could give it a custom paint job, maybe a supercharger, etc... He looked at me and realized I was onto something...

Let us assume If you plan on spending $500 per month for on a 48 month loan for a $25,000 vehicle after your $5000 trade in. Now think of it like this... What would happen if you invested $5000 into your current vehicle? $5000 is actually less money than a single year of your loan... At this point you are saying to yourself, "but the value of a new car is worth more!!!" So why would I invest $5000 into a $5000 vehicle? When I could be driving a $25,000 vehicle!..." But over that same amount of time 1 year, you technically will pay $10,000 dollars on that vehicle, if you were to try to sell it a year from now. The Dealer will only give you $15,000 for a trade in 1 year from now from that vehicle you just bought.

What you are probably going to miss, is that $25,000 vehicle that is worth "more" is actually going to cost you more in the long run. Your $5000 vehicle is paid off, so you do not have a monthly payment. But that $25,000 vehicle you "invested" in actually lost $5000 that year of driving... So in reality, the trade in is probably going to be $15,000 in one year, after the miles you put on it.

Depending on the severity of the repairs of the vehicle, it is almost always less expensive to fix what you have, than to buy another. Look into what your car and what the insurance company will pay you if you total it today.

Financially it almost always costs you less to just hang onto what you have, than to replace it with something newer. There are exceptions, but in the end do you NEED to do it? If you can have it fixed for less than a few car payments, and you keep up on the service and repairs as needed, then it is financially more sound to just repair it. BUT if you just want a newer car or a different car, or you are tired of fixing the car because everything is starting to cascade on you for problems... Then get another car. Never sell a car because it needed repair, that is like selling your car because it needed tires or brakes... Same difference.

The reasons I have gotten rid or sold cars
1) It was so rusted out that it was no longer safe.
2) I had too many cars and needed to make room for another.
3) I had one car that was an electrical nightmare, I would get it just right, and 2 months later it was on the fritz again. My daughter was driving it and she would never tell me there was a problem so I did not know until it was really bad. So I got her something more reliable. IT was actually a wash in the end, but there was that.
4) 4 out of 5 times I just wanted something different to drive... I got sick of what I had.

John

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my yukon i bought for the sole purpose of building something different (dumb) but to have fun nonetheless... its clean but not really shiney or flashy, gets overlooked until you really start paying attention to details and know what has gone into it.

my last few dailys for work i use and abuse and are more applicable to this thread.
-had a 2007 toyota yaris - bought with 30k drove till 200k, probably changed oil like every 20k miles, added rear sway bar cause driving on highway was a nightmare before it. sold cause i ended up with 3 cars, but it was probably the most reliable car ive ever owned, manual windows/locks/transmission
-after that was a 2011 mini cooper bought 20k-170k (totaled) upgraded everything as it wore out, turbo-downpipe-meth-intake-exhaust-coilovers-forged wheels-clutch-lsd was fun little car. got to expensive to maintain though, electric power steering rack caught fire (kinda my fault) parted it out back to stock, fixed the power steering rack (was $100 for it an harness) planned to just daily it, but i was over it and got rear ended a week later.
-current is a 2015 cmax plug in hybrid, i really dont plan on doing anything to it, cpo warranty out to 100k - wont stick around long if it costs me money after that

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the idea if you are going to own a higher mileage unit you probably ought to have the capability to fix the small to medium issues yourself. My 07 now has 268,000 on it (owned it since 27,000), I fix most things that need it myself and if I don't have the time or its something above my pay grade, I take to my mechanic knowing its going to cost more to resolve and accept that fact. If you have the mechanical aptitude, place to do it and the tools the help you can receive from the folks on this site is invaluable. Lots of smart and helpful folks on this site.

Maybe a good exercise is to build yourself a quick and dirty spreadsheet that calculates the annual costs of your current rig's operating cost (with X dollars of anticipated annual repair costs) compared to the cost of purchase/maint of another rig vs using the that capital to invest in something that has a chance to appreciate. See where that analysis puts you.

But like others have said, if your ready to move on - move on.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in my younger days I bought new rides. Now at 45, with far more money than I had back then, I tend to stay around the $12-$15k area and lower. Strange how the whole mentality can change. I usually buy very used vehicles that seem in decent shape and just repair as needed within reason. I learned that me and car payments just don't get along (I'm a cheap bastard). Too much other stuff I can do with that money that will benefit me than having a nice ride.

rzabel

Reaction score
I feel exactly the same as BourbonNcigars. I wish I had come to that realization at 45 - it took me to 60 and a few new cars! I'm keeping mine indefinitely and will go ahead and rebuild engine, transmission, whatever it takes, and still come out ahead. I'm pulling a 70 year old trailer with it, so I'm looking forward to when my tow vehicle is vintage too. The old adage, "they just don't make 'em like they used to" is really true with a 2500 and 8.1. It's new enough to have a decent ride and keep up on the highway, and most of the new creature comforts I can do without. All the little upgrades I've made just make it more "mine" and not what someone else thinks is a good idea. No payments and cheap insurance is good too. I can afford more gas!

jcb2

Reaction score
Beware of all the things a service department tells you. They’re looking for work and income and may not always be honest. If you’re handy and have tools ( or friends that do), fix it yourself. You will save money, learn more about your vehicle and have the satisfaction that it was fixed correctly. You may find, as I have that some of those things that the dealer says are bad are really alright.

I agree with the guys that advise you to keep it rather than blow money on a newer one.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another things with giving your car over to a shop... Sometimes they have shortcuts, and, sometimes those shortcuts means was not done right. Other times I swear that something else goes wrong just after THEY do it, but when I do it those issues never seem to be as frequent. I fix whatever I can, Brakes, shocks, struts, spark plugs, wires, coils, throttle body, even an intake or two on different vehicles.

There are times where I will have my car fixed rather than do it myself when it is just too darned cold outside, or I don't have time. Otherwise I do what I can myself. 99% of the time it is less expensive to do the work yourself, with buying the needed tools, than it is to send it to a shop and have them do it.

I am not in the mood to rebuild an Axle, transmission, or engine... But smaller repairs I will do, just to do something.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another things with giving your car over to a shop... Sometimes they have shortcuts, and, sometimes those shortcuts means was not done right. Other times I swear that something else goes wrong just after THEY do it, but when I do it those issues never seem to be as frequent. I fix whatever I can, Brakes, shocks, struts, spark plugs, wires, coils, throttle body, even an intake or two on different vehicles.

There are times where I will have my car fixed rather than do it myself when it is just too darned cold outside, or I don't have time. Otherwise I do what I can myself. 99% of the time it is less expensive to do the work yourself, with buying the needed tools, than it is to send it to a shop and have them do it.

I am not in the mood to rebuild an Axle, transmission, or engine... But smaller repairs I will do, just to do something.
Took a jeep to the "best place" around here to get a lift put on. Could I have done it? Yes (and eventually did but I'll get to that). I just thought it'd be fun to drop it off then come pick it up with 35's and a 3" lift. No work done. A treat to myself.

Picked it up, looked awesome. I assumed everything was A-OK. A few days later I start digging around under it one day and discovered the dumbasses performed quite the hack job. Parts not put on and parts put on wrong. No off-roading had been done so these mistakes were hidden by daily driving on roads. I was beyond pissed off, but learned some valuable lessons.

There's simply too many instances these days (in any facet of life) that have proven the old adage true: You want it done right, do it yourself. That's when I learned how to install a lift on a jeep (after getting some money back from the shop). I went home and completely undid everything they'd done and started from scratch because I didn't trust anything they worked on.

That said, some DIY projects on vehicles can be both nerve-wracking and complicated. There's many things I'll attempt and many I won't. It's completely understandable why so many people don't fix things themselves more often with their cars.

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This underscores the importance of buying a used car/ truck with full maintenance history to reduce the chance of buying a lemon that you need to start dumping money in to. I have never purchased a new car.. not because i cant afford it.. but because i dont see the value in it.
When I am buying a car that has 70k+ on it, i make damn sure that it has full maintenance paperwork, has been taken care of and is overall in good shape.. even if that means that I pay a bit more. You can usually tell how well a vehicle has been take care of by having a detail look at the car and talking to the owner.
I will take a chance on a vehicle that does not have history ... but the price should cover the risk. Meaning I will low ball the shit out of the owner to make sure i build in the additional maintenance/ repairs i will have to spend on.
While there are no absolutes and you can always get unlucky, this strategy has worked well for me so far.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your average monthly cost of ownership is creeping into being more than the cost of a payment/lease then it's smart to cut your losses and get into a new/different vehicle (from a purely economic standpoint). That being said, keep in mind there are only so many things that can physically go wrong with a car. If you buy a used Denali for $20k, and end up replacing the engine and trans for $10k, replace the entire suspension and steering system for $5k, and say another $10k replacing the entire rear axle assembly, drive shaft, front axles and transfer case, electrical repairs, etc. maybe even a few more thousand replacing the fuel delivery and ignition system. It's still WAY cheaper than paying $70k for a NEW Denali.

We're talking about GM fullsize trucks here. Among the most reliable vehicles on the road, and arguably the most reliable full-size trucks on the road. This is part of the reason why we buy em. Your mileage may vary based on a few factors, not to mention your personal abilities and desires to do your own maintenance and repairs. I do just about 99% of my own work on my truck which saves me a boatload of money when something needs to be fixed, and I know when I fix/replace something then it's good and will likely last me for the rest of the life of the vehicle so I don't need to worry about it again.

Currently I've got 212k on my OD. Most significant repairs I've done have been fuel pump, upper and lower ball joints both sides and tie rods both sides, new cats, oil pressure sensor, and oil pan gasket. In total I've spent maybe $1000 on the parts to replace the broken/failed parts (I don't charge myself for labor and I don't factor in the cost of tools I bought that I now own and will use for the rest of my life). I'd say thats a pretty low COO considering how many miles I've got on it and I plan to have it last me at LEAST another 100k.

I plan to keep my truck rolling until I decide that it makes more sense just to pull the motor out and put it in a muscle car and junk the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz