How much $$ do you put into your truck before saying enough is enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent I don't even know how much money on my 00 nbs over 12 years, rolled it to 312k and sold it, now I regret it because that dam truck was like new and will likely roll to another 300, but o'well I had to have this 2012, there's some satisfaction in knowing that certain essential parts are good to go once you have maintained it and that it's unlikely to leave you stranded on the side of the road somewhere. I drove that thing across the entire western united states and it never let me down, only one time when I was 3 states away in new mexico I had to have the fuel pump replaced I don't remember exactly what happened but it was more or less get it fixed just in case since I was so far away from home. I remember what it was now the pump started making that whiny noise (very typical) and usually not a sign of immediate impeding doom but I had my family and we were driving thru desert heat and just felt it was better to just get it done.

I bouight an '01 Tahoe in '06 and drove it 12 years, 'til last July. The fuel pump was the only failure it suffered in that time. Great truck, just 2 too-many doors.

joe

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Just my opinion, I am in agreement with others who reference being "bored" with the vehicle. If you are in that mindset be cautious as you will likely miss owning your current vehicle without a doubt. That being said, owning and maintaining a high mileage vehicle requires you to either do the maintanance yourself or "only" repair what is needed if you are paying a mech to do the work. I think it is extremely risky/expensive to allow any mech to build you a list of what they feel should be repaired. Ill guess the final bill to be 60% labor! no matter how they work the receipt to hide it. They arent really "ripping you off" They are simply making a profit and you are paying it. When your vehicle does require a major repair ie' "transmission tq converter" i would opt for an oe reman transmission and do it once.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With how rare my Tahoe is and how much I love it, there is no limit to the amount of money I'll put into it. Doesn't matter if it's basically repair, maintenance, or performance upgrades. It would take it being totalled, or if years from now new parts aren't available and the only alternative is a 'low mileage used part'.

Speaking of spending on it, I have a bunch of money I'm about to throw at my L9H in March or April:

Cam and lifters (a lifter or 2 are starting to stay noisy). I'm thinking using a GPI low lift vvt cam with LS7 lifters and trunion upgrade.

ARH Longtubes

Since the heads gotta come off, I'm gonna replace the original motor mounts. With the heads off, the mounts will be easy as hell to get at, and installing headers without the heads in the way will he awesome. Over the last few weeks, one of my exhaust manifold decided to break off on it's own while I was driving, so when the heads are off I get get that broken bolt out, and install the headers then.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I spent I don't even know how much money on my 00 nbs over 12 years, rolled it to 312k and sold it, now I regret it because that dam truck was like new and will likely roll to another 300, but o'well I had to have this 2012, there's some satisfaction in knowing that certain essential parts are good to go once you have maintained it and that it's unlikely to leave you stranded on the side of the road somewhere. I drove that thing across the entire western united states and it never let me down, only one time when I was 3 states away in new mexico I had to have the fuel pump replaced I don't remember exactly what happened but it was more or less get it fixed just in case since I was so far away from home. I remember what it was now the pump started making that whiny noise (very typical) and usually not a sign of immediate impeding doom but I had my family and we were driving thru desert heat and just felt it was better to just get it done.

I always love reading these "miss my NBS" posts. I feel for you. I missed my OBS for a while, but pretty quickly fell in LOVE with my 06. I like the newer ones, and will end up with one at some point, I'm sure, but I don't think I will ever let the 06 go. I will gladly put money into whatever it needs (read : I want). Might even grab one more .... Lol

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, it's all in the money. Cheapest option and taking into account the total owed (if any). If I can repair even a $3k problem, if it keeps me from buying a new $30k vehicle and regretting it after the "new" wears off, then it's worth it. But really there's so many factors. And we humans are absolutely fantastic at rationalizing reasons to buy new things. Tough call.

For example, I wish I had my old 2002 Z71 Tahoe back with 260K miles and that was two vehicles ago.

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
I agree with swathdiver. You're rolling the dice anytime you buy a used vehicle. Sooner or later, you've got to put more into it than just gas and oil.

One factor to consider is how long can you be without it for a major repair. If two or three weeks is out of the question, you'd be at the mercy of the sellers' market. If you've got a backup vehicle, that pressure goes away.

My gearhead buddies tell me I should look for a junk yard tranny and rebuild it to be ready for that eventuality. I may decide to do that.

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
For me, it's all in the money. Cheapest option and taking into account the total owed (if any). If I can repair even a $3k problem, if it keeps me from buying a new $30k vehicle and regretting it after the "new" wears off, then it's worth it. But really there's so many factors. And we humans are absolutely fantastic at rationalizing reasons to buy new things. Tough call.

For example, I wish I had my old 2002 Z71 Tahoe back with 260K miles and that was two vehicles ago.

Where is this $30k new unicorn you speak of?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always love reading these "miss my NBS" posts. I feel for you. I missed my OBS for a while, but pretty quickly fell in LOVE with my 06. I like the newer ones, and will end up with one at some point, I'm sure, but I don't think I will ever let the 06 go. I will gladly put money into whatever it needs (read : I want). Might even grab one more .... Lol
ya I still have the NBS bug every once in a while poke around and see whats for sale maybe something with low miles, maybe something lifted already, I don't know.....but one of these days

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I would probably spend a large amount of money on a vehicle I truly love to keep it on the road if I still love it. I feel like the 2008 Escalade I just bought 6 months ago will be one of those vehicles because it was supposed to be my wife's and I love it so now I'm trying to find another one for her! On the other hand, her 2007 SRX has had continual suspension noises (not the same part more than once, so far, but I've replaced 85% of the suspension) and a water leak I just can't kick (it's had the windshield replaced twice in an effort to fix and it still leaks, no it's no the sunroof). They're honestly not terrible things and the vehicle hasn't ever left us stranded or anything like that and it hasn't even cost me a fortune even though I've replaced a lot of parts on it but since I only like it and don't love it, the little things make me want to sell it.

Butch Patrick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my mechanic called me yesterday and my torque converter is toast. $950 bucks total...which of course isn't bad. However that is one thing that needs to be fixed out of several. But hey, its not a motor - yet.

I've asked him to get me some prices on changing the upper ball joints, the oil pressure sensor, and the rattle in the back that drives me nuts. The big repair, the oil pump, is dependent on oil pressure after that sensor is replaced. So I could have a 2k bill on this, and even then I dont know what might fail next.

I cannot find any 07+ suburban 2500 under 18 grand right now, and I think I have maybe 11k in it right now....

I'm considering getting this mickey mouse stuff fixed, and pushing it down the road. I had a variety of people hit me up on craigslist about it, so I think it would sell. I generally like it, and I might continue to fix it up, but I'm seriously looking for like a 2500 crew cab pickup with 1 owner who can give me a more comprehensive history on the vehicle.

My '05 Tahoe z71 has 196,000 miles on it. Bought it new. One break job, one water pump is all I have spent on it. I think I paid around 45,000 for it new. That comes to about $250/month. I plan on driving it until who knows how long. I could spend $10.000 on it and still be ahead vs buying new. New Tahoe loaded like mine would list for close to 70 grand. No way would I spend that kind of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep