How much $$ do you put into your truck before saying enough is enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy a used Denali for $20k, and end up replacing the engine and trans for $10k, replace the entire suspension and steering system for $5k, and say another $10k replacing the entire rear axle assembly, drive shaft, front axles and transfer case, electrical repairs, etc. maybe even a few more thousand replacing the fuel delivery and ignition system. It's still WAY cheaper than paying $70k for a NEW Denali.

This!!! I bought my 2007 Yukon Denali for $11k with just under 150k miles. It was very well taken care of and interior rear and 3rd row was barely used. I went through the entire truck and replace the brakes, suspension, wheels/tires, fuel system, front and rear differential rebuilt (both original ring & pinion), custom driveshafts and built a 402" supercharged motor and bulletproof transmission for it. My truck makes almost 900hp and runs an 11 second qtr mile, handles better than most new cars/trucks and has 165k+ miles on it. The only original part in the powertrain is the transfer case, it's 100% stock and original. I have less than $35k into my truck and it's much nicer than any new or used Denali you can buy for that price. I can't think of ANYTHING I'd rather have for under $40k that beats my truck in overall performance. Not really sure what else to say. If you like the vehicle and plan to keep it which is the smart thing to do, fix it, customize it and make it something unique. New cars with warranty's break and have recalls all the time. I'd rather know what is wrong and what has or hasn't been fixed.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
This!!! I bought my 2007 Yukon Denali for $11k with just under 150k miles. It was very well taken care of and interior rear and 3rd row was barely used. I went through the entire truck and replace the brakes, suspension, wheels/tires, fuel system, front and rear differential rebuilt (both original ring & pinion), custom driveshafts and built a 402" supercharged motor and bulletproof transmission for it. My truck makes almost 900hp and runs an 11 second qtr mile, handles better than most new cars/trucks and has 165k+ miles on it. The only original part in the powertrain is the transfer case, it's 100% stock and original. I have less than $35k into my truck and it's much nicer than any new or used Denali you can buy for that price. I can't think of ANYTHING I'd rather have for under $40k that beats my truck in overall performance. Not really sure what else to say. If you like the vehicle and plan to keep it which is the smart thing to do, fix it, customize it and make it something unique. New cars with warranty's break and have recalls all the time. I'd rather know what is wrong and what has or hasn't been fixed.

Still waiting on those donut videos, BTW.
:challenge:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to major expenses to repair a vehicle, it's best to think not only about today but also about tomorrow, next year and so on. What I'm getting at is managing your money to optimize your retirement. I know, many people on this forum are in their t

Totally cool and legit.

At the same time, a lot of folks wanna spend $11,000 on a vehicle, not to build it out but because that's about the full amount that they can swing.
:oops:

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting on those donut videos, BTW.
:challenge:

Sorry, my updates are usually on instagram but I just uploaded a video to YouTube... Enjoy!

When it comes to major expenses to repair a vehicle, it's best to think not only about today but also about tomorrow, next year and so on. What I'm getting at is managing your money to optimize your retirement. I know, many people on this forum are in their t

Totally cool and legit.

At the same time, a lot of folks wanna spend $11,000 on a vehicle, not to build it out but because that's about the full amount that they can swing.
:oops:
My truck could have been driven just how it was for that price... Most of the parts I replaced (alternator, power steering pump and shocks) were not needed right away and I did them just because they were original. Plenty of nice clean trucks for $10k-$15k that don't need a bunch of work and if they do need work, it's still way cheaper than a leased car or having a new car loan.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Sorry, my updates are usually on instagram but I just uploaded a video to YouTube... Enjoy!

My truck could have been driven just how it was for that price... Most of the parts I replaced (alternator, power steering pump and shocks) were not needed right away and I did them just because they were original. Plenty of nice clean trucks for $10k-$15k that don't need a bunch of work and if they do need work, it's still way cheaper than a leased car or having a new car loan.

:happy107::happy107::happy107:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Nice! Even my gf said nice donuts!

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Even my gf said nice donuts!
Thank you lol... I should have stayed in the throttle and whipped it around a few more times but there just wasn't enough snow. Those Blizzak snow tires are no joke, they were hooking up as you can see at the end. I could smell rubber burning after. I'll get some good video when we actually have a few inches to play with.

*also, watch my donut video from last year. That was with the blower on the stock motor. I'm up at least 250-300hp as you can probably hear. Video was taken on the same iPhone X so audio should be comparable.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thank you lol... I should have stayed in the throttle and whipped it around a few more times but there just wasn't enough snow. Those Blizzak snow tires are no joke, they were hooking up as you can see at the end. I could smell rubber burning after. I'll get some good video when we actually have a few inches to play with.

*also, watch my donut video from last year. That was with the blower on the stock motor. I'm up at least 250-300hp as you can probably hear. Video was taken on the same iPhone X so audio should be comparable.
Is it posted here? I've never seen it.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my case I have dumped so much $$$ already that I will just keep fixing it, guess you can say I like the truck to that point. Over the years I have owned about 15+ different cars and truck new and used that is replacing every 2-3 years which probably wasn't the smartest financial decision but am in the position to do so. But when you selling something please disclose as much detail as you can and know about it, is just plain wrong to push your problem onto someone else. Good luck with your truck!

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have decent mechanical skills / tools and a place to work on a vehicle, almost everything can be repaired for a reasonable price on these mass produced units. Parts are cheap and easily available. UNLESS YOU MESS UP AND BUY A HYBRID TWO MODE LIKE ME Hahahahaha. I am getting ready to order a $3,000.00 hybrid traction battery for my 2009 <200k mile HYHO. I got one heck of a deal on it knowing the battery replacement would be in the near future. I could replace the individual bad battery pack modules (pack contains 40 modules) and limp along for a few years. Problem is that you cannot buy "NEW" replacement Panasonic Prismatic NiMH modules the only thing available is the old used ones! That is kind of like replacing a bald flat tire with a slightly less bald tire that still holds air LOL. Probably not a good financial move to spend nearly 1/2 of what I gave for the truck on a new battery pack but I enjoy driving it and I do need a 4x4 beater daily driver. I am sure that I will probably get bored with it after a while and get something else but right now I am very happy with my ole **. I expect to spend some dollars keeping it running that is inherent with any 10 year old +200k vehicle, key is to control costs by doing everything that you can yourself.
Check out this youtube video.
The passenger side still has the factory ball joints at over 200k miles (No Grease fittings) and became a bit dry and noisy. Actually a No Cost fix for me. I used a grease needle to shoot the ball joint boots full of fresh grease and it is now quiet as a mouse. Local shop wanted $850.00 to replace them "Come On Man" The upper control arm w/ball joint and lower ball joint MOOG from Rock Auto was less than 150 bones. Labor is expensive out there especially if you go to the wrong shop! They will bankrupt you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645