How good is Magnetic Ride Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve driven a premier Tahoe, high country with air ride and an Lt.

I’m also a previous gen Tahoe’s owner back to when they first came out.
1995-6, I believe.

The previous gen magnetic ride coupled with the max towing made the ride a litttle hard. In my opinion, it is smooth but a little rough on certain roads.

the current gen lt was ok but the premier was noticeably better. The high country with magnetic ride and air ride was the best and noticeably better than the premier.

Last edited:

nath

Reaction score
I’m deciding between a 2021 Suburban Premier and a 2021 Yukon XL SLT. One of the major describable mechanical differences would be the Chevy’s Magnetic Ride Control Suspension compared to GMC’s “Premium Smooth Ride Suspension.” It seems from perusing pricing that the SLT’s can be had for a few grand less. All else aside, is the Magnetic Ride Control really worth the upgrade?
Gil, if u keep the truck and put over 80k on the clock, worth it will be a relative term without extended warranty the replacement shocks are very, very expensive. Asking a logical Q, if the 3.0 magnetic shocks wear out 60-100k and the amount of “adjustment to road surfaces” is 1 bazillion times more with the new system. Hmmm wears out faster? Just asking

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the SLT have the quad exhaust tips like the Premier? Because those are sweet!

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about "underwhelming". In my opinion (not having a Yukon/Tahoe in the past) the smooth ride suspension is not great. I would go with the Magnetic ride.

My reference to the exterior lighting is that the Yukon has "full" LED lighting, whereas the Tahoe does not. It also has fog lights. So if ride is more important than lighting then go with the Tahoe Premier.

That makes more sense... but yeah the smooth ride is just basic suspension, no more no less... but proabably on par or better than the previous generation units with the live rear dif.

Bounder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had magnetic shocks on a 2016 Chevy SS. The performance was good, but both front shocks needed replacement, one was under warranty (<36k mi) and the other out of warranty (39k mi). Well over $1000 for one shock. Maybe the new ones last longer; I don't know.

STiGuy07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's amazing and responds rapidly, whether you're hooking up a trailer or just carrying cargo. I feel like truck handles like a premium sedan, even at high speeds [2017 premier]

John Day

Reaction score
my '19 Yukon SLT has the "regular" shocks, I had choice of both when I bought. I could feel the difference, but my wallet said go with the shocks. This is my last ride, hopefully AND didn't want to pay to service the mag ride later in life. No regrets here. U young'n's can pay for that, I won't!! Both are great rides when u get right down to it.

OP
OP
gilboyj

gilboyj

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback all. Is the magnetic suspension prone to reliability issues?

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hated the Magnaride in my 2016 Denali. The ride was so rough that I was convinced that it was broken, that was until I came here and read the posts. While at the same time people who had both the 15-20 and the 09-04 said the previous gen was much smoother.

The mangaride in on my 2021 has been awesome, but we also have the independent rear suspension now which has really changed the handling. I no longer jump when the rear-end hits a pothole.

Mike

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT