How good is Magnetic Ride Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gilboyj

Reaction score
I’m deciding between a 2021 Suburban Premier and a 2021 Yukon XL SLT. One of the major describable mechanical differences would be the Chevy’s Magnetic Ride Control Suspension compared to GMC’s “Premium Smooth Ride Suspension.” It seems from perusing pricing that the SLT’s can be had for a few grand less. All else aside, is the Magnetic Ride Control really worth the upgrade?

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I believe it’s claim to fame is, it’s the same system used on corvettes and Mercedes

Goldenbear03

Reaction score
MagneRide 4.0, which is the latest generation in new vehicles today, can adjust suspension 45% faster than it did with the 3.0 version. It is capable of adjusting itself 1,000 times per second. Basically, 1,000 times per 60 feet driven. Maybe the single greatest modern day advancement GM has made, aside from their motor enhancements.

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only driven my premier which has it so I can't say what it's like without it. The Premier handles wonderfully. There are many articles from consumer reports road tests talking about a significant improvement in ride quality, handling and safety maneuverability. That's the reason I had to go with the Premier even though I liked the looks of the RST better.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have SLT with smooth ride. Its underwhelming, in my opinion. If headlights, taillights and fog lights are not a concern, then go with the Chevy. You will also get the slightly upgraded 10 speaker Bose system. I have no clue why GMC omitted magna ride and 10 speaker Bose from the SLT.

Last edited:

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have SLT with smooth ride. Its over-rated, in my opinion. If headlights, taillights and fog lights are not a concern, then go with the Chevy. You will also get the slightly upgraded 10 speaker Bose system. I have no clue why GMC omitted magna ride and 10 speaker Bose from the SLT.

What's over-rated? Smooth Ride is regular coil/strut coil/shock setup.

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's over-rated? Smooth Ride is regular coil/strut coil/shock setup.
I was confused by this comment as well. Also why healights and taillights would be a concern on the Chevy? Fog lights yes, they are missing.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had an '11 Escalade with MRC then went to a '15 Suburban without it. After a week it was night and day and we vowed the next would have it. We love it in our '21 Yukon.

OP
OP
gilboyj

gilboyj

Reaction score
I have SLT with smooth ride. Its over-rated, in my opinion. If headlights, taillights and fog lights are not a concern, then go with the Chevy. You will also get the slightly upgraded 10 speaker Bose system. I have no clue why GMC omitted magna ride and 10 speaker Bose from the SLT.

I too would like some elaboration on this. Can you explain what you mean by over-rated, and missing fog lights aside, are Chevy’s headlights/taillights lacking in some capacity compared to GMC?

Thanks.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about "underwhelming". In my opinion (not having a Yukon/Tahoe in the past) the smooth ride suspension is not great. I would go with the Magnetic ride.

My reference to the exterior lighting is that the Yukon has "full" LED lighting, whereas the Tahoe does not. It also has fog lights. So if ride is more important than lighting then go with the Tahoe Premier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne