Magnetic Ride Control vs Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the edgymods adj end links the vehicle can be locked into one position for all time. Parked, driving, neutral, always one setting and no adjustment. Will this help with compression life maybe? Just bought a 21 z71 so curious to see how it goes with the edgymods
The Edgymods don’t lock the suspension into one height, they spoof the sensors into thinking the vehicle is at a different height than it actually is.

I have the Edgymods and can still adjust the suspension up and down via the dash control. Up and down are different heights now.

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The edgymod owner told me that during driving the air ride would typically change its height (without pushing button) and would also lower height (without pushing button) during vehicle entry mode (if activated). He said his sensors could be used to keep the ride height the same and not let the computer send the message to alter height. I know what you’re saying but he made it clear the vehicle will modify height depending on speed etc. I fact checked it on Chevrolet as well. It said it would deprogram ride height adjustments that took place during “non push” button moments.

Once they’re installed it must automatically override the non button adjustments. I figured the air bag system just adjusted height as you selected it, but it also does it during other driving conditions without the button.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT.. there's a notable difference between the shorter/lighter 2023 Tahoe HC with mag and Air ride and the heavier/longer 2023 Suburban HC with mag and Air Ride, so much so that I got rid of the 23 Tahoe and bought another new Suburban HC with mag and Air ride (this time with a Duramax 3.0).

I did lower the air pressure in my 22 inch tires;/wheels down to 31 psi cold to soften their ride.. I may consider to install 18" rims on the Suburban's when their tires become significantly worn.. time will tell
Wha-aaat? They really should be so close you can't feel a difference if they have the same wheels. Must be the longer wheelbase. If I could give up the capacity and had a longer garage at the time, I definitely would have preferred the suburban.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used 2021 Yukon Denali w/6.2 and 22" wheels but it's Magnetic ride only. Is there a straight-forward OEM kit to add air-ride/leveling or is this just too-late / kind of 'out there' since it wasn't added factory wise? Google doesn't show anything leading me to think it's crazy to entertain this idea.

I like the idea of auto-leveling for towing but my trailer w/WDH only brings the rear down 1" and the ride is fine - so it I'm probably wanting what I don't have rather than having actual need. I found a link to stiffer springs which would probably reduce the 1" to 1/2" - and seems like they'd just swap in with no issue and 1" - 1/2" drop is not that much with 37" from ground to fender before the drop.

I'd be interested in comments on air-ride-retrofit vs stiffer springs vs leave-well-enough-alone.

My 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD has auto-air-leveling, still works at 170,000miles and 19yrs, which is nice when towing pulls the rear down or loading it up heavily but I have to say the 2021 Yukon rides smoother than the SRX.

Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s probably possible but far from straightforward. Somehow you’d have to crack some of the modules and be able to program them to perform the air suspension functions…given how locked down it all is, you probably can’t do it without the assistance of GM engineers and the factory module programming..and even then, maybe not, since it wasn’t included on your original build.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used 2021 Yukon Denali w/6.2 and 22" wheels but it's Magnetic ride only. Is there a straight-forward OEM kit to add air-ride/leveling or is this just too-late / kind of 'out there' since it wasn't added factory wise? Google doesn't show anything leading me to think it's crazy to entertain this idea.

I like the idea of auto-leveling for towing but my trailer w/WDH only brings the rear down 1" and the ride is fine - so it I'm probably wanting what I don't have rather than having actual need. I found a link to stiffer springs which would probably reduce the 1" to 1/2" - and seems like they'd just swap in with no issue and 1" - 1/2" drop is not that much with 37" from ground to fender before the drop.

I'd be interested in comments on air-ride-retrofit vs stiffer springs vs leave-well-enough-alone.

My 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD has auto-air-leveling, still works at 170,000miles and 19yrs, which is nice when towing pulls the rear down or loading it up heavily but I have to say the 2021 Yukon rides smoother than the SRX.

Converting to the eom air ride system would be extremely difficult, time consuming and very expensive. If you really want it i would say your better off selling your current one and buying one that has the option.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 24 Escalade premium plus came with the zw7 suspension package. For a 100k suv I think it’s garbage. It’s the only think I hate about the Escalade.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 24 Escalade premium plus came with the zw7 suspension package. For a 100k suv I think it’s garbage. It’s the only think I hate about the Escalade.
Didn't get the correct options...Both Magnetic Ride control and Air Ride Adaptive suspension are available on that model.
On the Up Side, you got miles of OLED displays in the dash.

Antonm

Reaction score
The edgymod owner told me that during driving the air ride would typically change its height (without pushing button) and would also lower height (without pushing button) during vehicle entry mode (if activated). He said his sensors could be used to keep the ride height the same and not let the computer send the message to alter height. I know what you’re saying but he made it clear the vehicle will modify height depending on speed etc. I fact checked it on Chevrolet as well. It said it would deprogram ride height adjustments that took place during “non push” button moments.

Once they’re installed it must automatically override the non button adjustments. I figured the air bag system just adjusted height as you selected it, but it also does it during other driving conditions without the button.

Can you elaborate on this?

The Edgy mods links are just that, metal adjustable links (see pic below). They don't interface with the computer at all, what they do is physically place the stock sensor in a different location relative to the suspension height. No programing programing changes occur, whatever the computer would do before, it would still do it after installing the links

Are they maybe coming out with some new product that's not listed on their website yet that they were talking to you about?

edgy.jpg

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Hello all!

First time placing an order for a GM vehicle - I am in the midst of placing an order for either a 23 Suburban or 23 Yukon XL. Understanding Magnetic Ride Control is the standard suspension on the higher level trims and they do already ride smoothly, I was wondering if Air Ride Suspension provides an EVEN better ride quality?

A source of confusion has always been does the Air Ride Suspension replace the Magnetic Ride Control if selected as an option? Or is it an add on and works hand in hand with the Magnetic Ride Control?

Any feedback or explanation will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
My '17 Denali had just Magnetic Ride Control and rode fantastic. My '23 has MRC WITH the air suspension, and it rides 10 times better. So - Yes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne