Home link garage opener range?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali132

Banned
Reaction score
Very cool iamdub I wish I could do that to mine as you can see I have 7 T8 lights in my garage and it's really bright! You're right the bulbs in the garage door opener bulbs are useless! How did you know how to wire all of that together!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool iamdub I wish I could do that to mine as you can see I have 7 T8 lights in my garage and it's really bright! You're right the bulbs in the garage door opener bulbs are useless! How did you know how to wire all of that together!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

It's very simple. A relay needs power to trigger it, so I used the power going to the bulb in the operator since I want the relay to be triggered when the operator turns on the light. The switching side of the relay is simply paralleled off of the light switch. Picture having one power source/wiring coming from your breaker, passing through the wall switch, then ending at your garage lights. You flip the switch on and the power flows on to the lights. Flip it off and the power can't flow. Now picture another switch right next to that first switch, and the same terminals are connected. That same original power source from the breaker is feeding both switches. You flip one switch on, and the power passes through it to feed the lights. Now flip it off and flip on the other- the same power passes through it and feeds the lights. Flip both on and nothing changes. All you're doing is giving the power another path to take should one of those be "blocked" (switch flipped off). Instead of a regular wall switch that is triggered by you physically moving a lever, this second switch is "flipped" by electricity (from the operator's light circuit) passing through a coil (the solenoid inside the relay).

As far as the actual modifications to the house wiring, all I did was run a piece of Romex from the relay and down the wall to the switch.

Woodman-LTZ15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree that the new HomeLink is very inconsistent. My '07 Suburban can open the garage door as I drive down the road. The '15 Tahoe sometimes takes three pushes of the button at 20" to get the door (Liftmaster) to operate. I'm going to try and reprogram it this weekend.

Denali16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It really shouldn't be this hard to get a damn garage door open. My Tundra would open from 3 houses down. Not the Denali. Have to be in the driveway. This isn't rocket science and shouldn't take modifying anything. Toyota figured it out. C'mon GM. Rant over.