High mileage Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Moved you over here.

Price is a bit high but it will be hard to find such a well maintained vehicle.
Well, I called them back and told them I wanted to think about it over the weekend. The salesman reminded me that his GM said that the 7K was a one day offer, that Monday, it would go back to 7300. I told him I didn't believe they'd actually follow through on that and if the GM said that, all he was doing was trying to force me to make a decision right away. What's the difference if they sell it Saturday or Monday? Car sales....some things never change. :p Oh, and where did you move me? I thought I was in the same place. Nevermind, I see that I was in the wrong forum before. Sorry about that.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Greetings. New member here. I live in the Northern Virginia area (Winchester). I'm collecting opinions before I make a purchase. I'm looking at a 2002 Yukon XL SLE that has 197,000 miles on it. I have the Carfax and the previous owner(s) were very good about maintenance with most work being performed at the dealership. The oil was changed every 3-5K. It's had the front hubs replaced (twice) last at 157K. Fliuds, including transfer case and differentials, transmission, brakes, coolant and injection system have been flushed multiple times. Serpentine belt replaced twice. Plugs and wires replaced. New water pump at 157K. The interior is in very good/excellent condition with no rips or worn spots on the seats. The only issues I see with the body are rust on the driver's rear lower quarter panel (it will need a patch panel) and the bottom of the rear fender where it meets the rocker panel (again, it will need a patch panel) on the passenger side. The rocker panels themselves seem very solid. The paint is in good shape and still shines. I test drove it and it runs great, steers well (no wandering/pulling) and the brakes work well. The best I can do is 7K out the door. Do current owners think this is a good deal for something with that many miles? Is there anything I should be worried about?

Thanks much,
Jeff
I know is probably hard to find this vehicle with lower miles and all the maintenance to go along with it.kelly blue book shows trade in value at 1500-2000 for this shape.Im betting they have no more than 3000 in it if that would be a high call on a trade.995 dealer processing fee is crazy.In lllinois our fee went to 395 and people ***** all the time its just profit for the office girls payroll.If it had no rust at all and all maintanance i would say 6000 otd max.You wuld be suprised what some people would pay for this especially around tax time when they have 3 kids and get 10k back in a check and need a 3rd row vehicle quick. https://www.kbb.com/gmc/yukon-xl-15...451595|true&pricetype=trade-in&vehicleid=4150

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
I know is probably hard to find this vehicle with lower miles and all the maintenance to go along with it.kelly blue book shows trade in value at 1500-2000 for this shape.Im betting they have no more than 3000 in it if that would be a high call on a trade.995 dealer processing fee is crazy.In lllinois our fee went to 395 and people ***** all the time its just profit for the office girls payroll.If it had no rust at all and all maintanance i would say 6000 otd max.You wuld be suprised what some people would pay for this especially around tax time when they have 3 kids and get 10k back in a check and need a 3rd row vehicle quick. https://www.kbb.com/gmc/yukon-xl-1500/2002/sport-utility/?condition=fair&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=197000&modalview=false&offeroptions=true&options=6451595|true&pricetype=trade-in&vehicleid=4150
I'd probably call it "Good" vs "Fair" conditoin, which bumps it up some (1220-2529). Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• img-5-960x.jpg
    img-5-960x.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 10
  • img-12-960x.jpg
    img-12-960x.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 10
  • img-14-960x.jpg
    img-14-960x.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 10
  • img-7-960x.jpg
    img-7-960x.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 10
  • img-2-960x.jpg
    img-2-960x.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 10

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The market was near its peak when I bought my 04 Tahoe Z71 in October 2021 for $6,500.
Private party. Nothing in my area for less than $5k unless it was already in the junkyard or halfway parted out already!

I was at about 183k miles and my rockers had a bit more (or should I say "less") than the one you described. The interior was one of the cleanest I had seen and the rest of the body was clean. I was in a hurry to get into something and the market was just not negotiable at the time.

$7k may be high for some regions, but if it was really well maintained, then maybe not all that crazy.

If they were pulling that Monday-only pricing" on you, maybe they are not the ones to be dealing with anyway... Seems like kind of a d**K move to pull on you anyway.

Keep looking if you have the luxury of time on your side. You may actually end up with a better deal.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I called them back and told them I wanted to think about it over the weekend. The salesman reminded me that his GM said that the 7K was a one day offer, that Monday, it would go back to 7300. I told him I didn't believe they'd actually follow through on that and if the GM said that, all he was doing was trying to force me to make a decision right away. What's the difference if they sell it Saturday or Monday? Car sales....some things never change. :p Oh, and where did you move me? I thought I was in the same place. Nevermind, I see that I was in the wrong forum before. Sorry about that.
No worries.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d also be worried about rust other than the body. Were you able to take a look at the frame, and generally underneath the vehicle? Agreed that this dealer is trying to push you into the sale. Total d I c k move.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
I’d also be worried about rust other than the body. Were you able to take a look at the frame, and generally underneath the vehicle? Agreed that this dealer is trying to push you into the sale. Total d I c k move.
Yes, I looked underneath. The frame looks solid. There were a few areas of surface rust, but no rust through or anything approaching it. The rest of the body is very solid. It's just the driver's rear quarter and where the passenger rear quarter meets the rocker panel. The rockers themselves are solid. Around here, it's really hard to find something rust free witih low mileage and if you do find one, people are asking in the high teens into the twenties for them.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I looked underneath. The frame looks solid. There were a few areas of surface rust, but no rust through or anything approaching it. The rest of the body is very solid. It's just the driver's rear quarter and where the passenger rear quarter meets the rocker panel. The rockers themselves are solid. Around here, it's really hard to find something rust free witih low mileage and if you do find one, people are asking in the high teens into the twenties for them.
Oh, I believe that. Most stuff out there rusts very quickly. I’m guessing it’s from out of state.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Call him tuesday and tell him 6000 otd last day of the month we do stupid things at our dealer on the last day to meet quota.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Oh, I believe that. Most stuff out there rusts very quickly. I’m guessing it’s from out of state.
According to the Carfax, it spent its entire life in either VA or NC. They list it as a 3 owner based, I assume, on the number of times it was titled, but I think it may be a one owner and someone who just moved out of state for a period. I base that on the fact that what's listed as the first VA owner and the third owner (also VA) had it serviced at the exact same dealership. The 2nd owner is listed as NC from 2018-2020.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne