High mileage Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff53

Reaction score
Greetings. New member here. I live in the Northern Virginia area (Winchester). I'm collecting opinions before I make a purchase. I'm looking at a 2002 Yukon XL SLE that has 197,000 miles on it. I have the Carfax and the previous owner(s) were very good about maintenance with most work being performed at the dealership. The oil was changed every 3-5K. It's had the front hubs replaced (twice) last at 157K. Fliuds, including transfer case and differentials, transmission, brakes, coolant and injection system have been flushed multiple times. Serpentine belt replaced twice. Plugs and wires replaced. New water pump at 157K. The interior is in very good/excellent condition with no rips or worn spots on the seats. The only issues I see with the body are rust on the driver's rear lower quarter panel (it will need a patch panel) and the bottom of the rear fender where it meets the rocker panel (again, it will need a patch panel) on the passenger side. The rocker panels themselves seem very solid. The paint is in good shape and still shines. I test drove it and it runs great, steers well (no wandering/pulling) and the brakes work well. The best I can do is 7K out the door. Do current owners think this is a good deal for something with that many miles? Is there anything I should be worried about?

Thanks much,
Jeff

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I am spoiled because I live where rust is not a problem. $7k, IMO, is too much at that mileage and with the rust but it depends on the area. I hate buying used from a dealer and at that age and miles, I would guess it is a smaller mom and pop lot instead of a new car dealer. The dealer's get the trade ins and keep the cream and send the rest to auction where the smaller lots bid on them. I personally want to buy from an individual and check it thoroughly before I would consider a purchase or take to a shop to have inspected. The lots always say, they had it all checked out, bull.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I am spoiled because I live where rust is not a problem. $7k, IMO, is too much at that mileage and with the rust but it depends on the area. I hate buying used from a dealer and at that age and miles, I would guess it is a smaller mom and pop lot instead of a new car dealer. The dealer's get the trade ins and keep the cream and send the rest to auction where the smaller lots bid on them. I personally want to buy from an individual and check it thoroughly before I would consider a purchase or take to a shop to have inspected. The lots always say, they had it all checked out, bull.
Thanks for the welcome. Actually, it's at a Ford dealership. I don't know if it was traded in there or just across the road at the same company's Chevy dealership. They tend to swap trade-ins back and forth. I'm guessing they kept this one because of the maintenance record and the fact that (other than the two rust spots) it's very clean. They probably didn't give more than 3K for it on trade and they're probably looking to turn a quick profit.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I agree, the asking price is too high.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I agree, the asking price is too high.
It seemed a bit high to me, also, hence my question. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's the area in which I live, but it seems like most of the available Yukon/Suburban/Avalanche vehicles are high mileage and high price. I'm not seeing many low mileage ones at all and the ones I am seeing tend to have crazy prices associated with them, like in the 20K range. Many of the cheaper ones seem to have a lot of body rust or ridiculous miles. I'm looking mostly on Facebook Marketplace and some on Craigslist. I actually found this one on Edmunds.com. In general, this one seems to have less rust than many of the others from 2000-2006 (my preference). Rockers seem to be an issue during that timeframe.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have the patience, used vehicle prices are starting to come down a bit. Plus, have the cash at the ready because cash in their face can make the price come down at times. If you like the Yukon and the records are there and you accept the rust, offer less cash and not payments thru them. You are likely right about what they paid for on trade in. I just think it is closer to a 5k vehicle. Ask to take it to a tech you trust for inspection as well.

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
If you have the patience, used vehicle prices are starting to come down a bit. Plus, have the cash at the ready because cash in their face can make the price come down at times. If you like the Yukon and the records are there and you accept the rust, offer less cash and not payments thru them. You are likely right about what they paid for on trade in. I just think it is closer to a 5k vehicle. Ask to take it to a tech you trust for inspection as well.
I agree. It's a vehicle that I'd probably pay 4-5K for from a private party. I do like it. It's blue with graphite cloth interior, so it looks good. And I always thought the 2000-2002 seats were more comfortable than the later models. It's obviously been taken good care of, but it does have almost 200K miles on it and some rust. The dealership is adding no value as there's no warranty and the only thing they'd probably do would be to vacuum the interior and wash it. I would be willing to give them 5K for it, but the more I think about it, 7K is just too much for a 20 year old vehicle with almost 200K miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
The paperwork has value. The engines, if taken care of, are 300k engines.
I'm not as concerned about the engine as I am the transmission. I'm willing to pay them for their paperwork, also. Just not 2K. :) I mean, for the 7K, they were taking care of the tax, title and registration and they should be paid for that. The listed price of the Yukon is $6000. The thing that really cost way too much as far as I'm concerned is the $995 dealer processing fee. I was paying cash. There was no financing paperwork. It's been a while since I've bought a car from a dealer, but that seems like a lot. Maybe I'm just out of touch.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Moved you over here.

Price is a bit high but it will be hard to find such a well maintained vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9