HELP ME!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points. I didn't mention I replaced the TPS. When I pulled the TB the TPS was super nasty, the TB probably was never cleaned. I'm also not a fan of the K&N cone filter...number one it doesn't fit very well and number two it collects dirt and crap. I'll check the MAF and MAP next.

Any thoughts on a coil pack issue? One of the related symptoms of a bad coil pack is an erratic gas gauge. When I first bought the truck every time I filled it up it would go full then empty when I started driving. It would bounce around for about 10-15 miles then go to full and work appropriately. After about a 3 months of me filling the tank when it was empty it kind of went away, very rarely does it do it now. Previous owner said "I never filled the tank" after I mention the gauge so that made me think it was the float in the tank.

A faulty coil pack isn't impossible, but not very likely with what you're describing. Buy or borrow a scan tool that records live data, take it for a test drive and see what the sensors are saying when the issue occurs. You could end up spending more in unneeded parts than what a scan tool would cost.

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score

Video. Check engine light came on again and it was for P0032 Knock Sensor 2 circuit low bank 2. Same code I’ve been getting. My scanner has a live monitoring thing and I can take a screen shot of it. I’ll do that on my drive home from work.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I did alot of engine mods, and it didn't seem like it had enough power, it just seemed down. It didn't throw any codes--no cel. Took it to a mechanic, turned out to be the throttle body wasn't opening up all the way like it should. Again no cel or anything else. Drive me crazy. I'm thinking you might have the same issue. The knock sensor codes might not even be related, could just be a coincidence. I think the mechanic said the butterfly was only opening at 80%, or something like that.

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score
I did alot of engine mods, and it didn't seem like it had enough power, it just seemed down. It didn't throw any codes--no cel. Took it to a mechanic, turned out to be the throttle body wasn't opening up all the way like it should. Again no cel or anything else. Drive me crazy. I'm thinking you might have the same issue. The knock sensor codes might not even be related, could just be a coincidence. I think the mechanic said the butterfly was only opening at 80%, or something like that.

I cleaned the TB really good. It opens pretty smoothly. Once I figure it out I will be sure to post my findings. I've been finding other threads on different sites for similar issues but no follow or fix.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Thank you for all the responses! I cleaned the MAF when I did the throttle body. The rpms jump but nothing crazy. Not like the trans is slipping it’s more like a lack of power. I can try and get video today! I read about the MAP sensor. Definitely on my list but I thought a sensor would through codes....

Video. Check engine light came on again and it was for P0032 Knock Sensor 2 circuit low bank 2. Same code I’ve been getting. My scanner has a live monitoring thing and I can take a screen shot of it. I’ll do that on my drive home from work.

Could you note the time stamps on the video the issue is occurring at? By looking at it, it's difficult to differentiate anything obvious from changes in throttle input / background noise

What codes are you getting specifically?

I'm curious what your fuel pressure is at the time the issue is occurring. I had a similar issue the other year when my fuel pump started to go out. Fuel pressure would drop under load when the pump / tank warmed up. Right pain in the ass to track down on account of it being so intermittent. I had to hook up a pressure gauge and run it up through the cowling so I could keep an eye on it while driving. And at that, drive it for a couple hours to see it happen.

FWIW here's how mine was. Though of note: I have a return-less fuel system on mine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"One of the related symptoms of a bad coil pack is an erratic gas gauge" ??? o_O noooooo, completely unrelated.
when you do knock sensors use OEM AC Delco and use a new harness at the same time and then seal the sensors with silicone, this saves you from having to do it again...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Couldn't really tell anything from the video, but "Liked" for using your signals.

Does your scanner show freeze frames for DTCs?

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score
Around 1:25 (right after the cel comes on). I let off on the gas because I’m merging onto the highway and someone wasn’t letting me in. Once he/she passed I floored it and you can hear the exhaust making a surging sound and it’s trying real hard to catch up to the pedal being floored.

I just read somewhere that a coil pack could cause an erratic gas gauge. I replaced the harness and sealed the sensors. Bought them from A1 auto. I don’t think they were Ac Delco.

I tried to catch a freeze frame on my scanner. It’s difficult because it’s so intermittent. I took a video of the live data as I was driving but it’s hard to tell what’s going on and I’m not sure what I should be looking for. I’ll post them anyway because videos are fun.

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score

Just listen for the exhaust. It sounds like I’m giving it gas then taking my foot off and so on and so forth. Back and forth back and forth.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Freeze frame refers to the code. When your vehicle stores a code, it will store with it a snapshot ov everything else involved in the driving conditions. Rpm, load, timing, etc etc.

Not sure what hosting service you use but could you use YouTube or Dropboxffrom now on? The lack of time stamp or full screen makes things a bit squinty.

Now let's take a big breath. Go at this methodically. You'll drive yourself nuts with the parts cannon.

What codes are you getting? Please post the exact code not a description. I like to avoid translational errors

In bullet points, what have you checked?

In bullet points, what have you tried?

In bullet points, what parts have been replaced?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charkmapman