HELP ME!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your O2 sensors looks like. You can hear the engine surging. It's hard to gauge after driving a modified truck for a while but it seems to be down on power. Are you just getting the 1 code? I think the knock sensors are doing their job and it's knocking which make it seem like it's surging since the sensor are cutting fuel.

How does it react to heavy throttle from a start?

O2 sensors
Check cats

Fuel gauge is probably due to prev owner not filling up and the contacts were corroded due to not being used. If you replaced the pump that problem should be gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score
Only code I'm getting is Knock Sensor P0332. This is a freeze frame of when the cel went off. I haven't had a code for the o2 sensors. The only other code I had was related to EVAP, but I think something was loose because when I pulled the manifold out and reinstalled it the code hasn't came back. The only issue with this freeze frame is...I wasn't actually putting my foot on the gas, I was at a coast when the cel went off and once I floored it, it started acting up, loosing power.

2eYcbbs
Freeze frame data by Chris Nelson, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score
Freeze frame refers to the code. When your vehicle stores a code, it will store with it a snapshot ov everything else involved in the driving conditions. Rpm, load, timing, etc etc.

Not sure what hosting service you use but could you use YouTube or Dropboxffrom now on? The lack of time stamp or full screen makes things a bit squinty.

Now let's take a big breath. Go at this methodically. You'll drive yourself nuts with the parts cannon.

What codes are you getting? Please post the exact code not a description. I like to avoid translational errors

In bullet points, what have you checked?

In bullet points, what have you tried?

In bullet points, what parts have been replaced?

I used Vimeo. Not sure why its so small and you can't see the time on it. I'll use youtube next time.

P0332
Knock sensor 2 Circuit
Low Bank 2

That's the only code I've been getting. I've had the truck scanned several times before I bought my own scan tool and this is the only one its throwing.

Things I've cleaned or replaced

• throttle position sensor
  • knock sensors w/ harness
  • spark plugs
  • spark plug wires
  • removed the TB cleaned it
  • removed maf cleaned it
  • removed k&n filter (cone style) cleaned it
  • fuel filter
  • fuel pump

In order of replacement

1. Fuel filter
  2. cleaned tb/maf/filter
  3. TPS
  4. fuel pump
  5. spark plugs/wires
  6. knock sensors

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Does your vehicle have a return type fuel system with a vaccuum actuated fuel pressure regulator on the rear/drivers side of the fuel rail?

Do you have EGR on your rig?

Does running rough seem to coincide with the code? How are your engine grounds? Were the knock sensors installed w/ a torque wrench? They can get fussy if they're over torqued

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score
Does your vehicle have a return type fuel system with a vaccuum actuated fuel pressure regulator on the rear/drivers side of the fuel rail?

Do you have EGR on your rig?

Does running rough seem to coincide with the code? How are your engine grounds? Were the knock sensors installed w/ a torque wrench? They can get fussy if they're over torqued

No EGR. It does have fuel pressure regulator and to be honest with you it looks pretty new. Even the hose running from it to the air intake is clean and not dry/cracked. I pulled the little hose off the top of it and no fuel came out.

The cel goes off right before it starts missing/surging. I caught a freeze frame of it on my drive home. Cel flipped and the truck started surging under load.

Freeze frame
https://flic.kr/p/SV6Uju

https://flic.kr/p/24rP1sp

https://flic.kr/p/SV6Ud7

I/M readiness
https://flic.kr/p/24rP1Tp

The truck runs pretty smooth. It idles good, low rpms it drives perfectly fine. It’s high rpms when the issues occur, even when I’m in cruise control at 65 mph going up an incline it surges but that’s only on an incline. Notice the evap systems scan was not complete in the I/M readiness picture. I was getting an evap code but I’m not anymore. The motor itself is very clean had it pulled 8 months ago and had every gasket replaced due to the rear main seal leaking like a mofo. When he pulled the engine he cleaned all the grime off it. I’m going to see if I can do a fuel pressure test next. I should mention that the truck starts perfect every time, no hesitation what so ever.

Last edited:

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
It’s high rpms when the issues occur, even when I’m in cruise control at 65 mph going up an incline it surges but that’s only on an incline.

Well that really makes me think fuel pressure related. Typically knocking/pinging could occur at lower RPMs if that were the issue. Can fill up w/ premium gas as an easy check if you can't view live data per cylinder on your scanner

Hook up a mechanical gauge, check fuel pressure at the time the issue occurs. Run the hose out through your cowl so you can see it while you're driving if you need to

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score
I switched to the mid grade (89) has a while back. That definitely helped with my gas gauge issue. I’ll try premium next fill up.

I’m going to get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure this week. What PSI am I looking for? At idle it’s 50-60 psi right? Is it the same while driving?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the non ACDelco knock sensors are causing too much timing retard causing the surges. As others said check fuel pressure first as the easiest and cheapest step, but if normal, might need to redo those knock senors down the line. I’ve read these rigs don’t like aftermarket knock sensors.

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score
Wonder if the non ACDelco knock sensors are causing too much timing retard causing the surges. As others said check fuel pressure first as the easiest and cheapest step, but if normal, might need to redo those knock senors down the line. I’ve read these rigs don’t like aftermarket knock sensors.

Only reason I'm ruling out the knock sensors is because its doing the same exact thing. Something is causing me to get a knock sensor code, they're detecting a misfire or something.

I unplugged my MAF on my drive to work and it didn't help so I'm ruling that out. Next is fuel pressure. I'm going to pick up a gauge today.

Snowdrifter what do you consider high and low rpms? Only reason I say high is because its usually between 1k & 2K rpms I experience the surge/loss of power. I'll be at 55 mph roughly 1500k rpms and when I lightly press on the gas to go around a car the surge happens. If I floor it, it'll smooth out.