Help Me With My Project Car / Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Casey

Reaction score
I have tried posting some stuff on other forums, and I know this isn't a dodge forum, but I have had way better luck with finding smart people on this forum and have been reading things on this forum for yearsss. I am sure there are some smart people on here that will be able to chime in, so here it goes:

I have a 2008 dodge grand caravan with a 3.8L v6 and a 6-speed automagical transmission, and I am looking to pick up the horsepower and torque boost of the 4.0L v6 that came in the same year.

I am almost sure that the 6-speed transmission is the same, but please correct me if I'm wrong... Like is the mounting and flexplate and stuff all the same (basically can I just bold the 4.0L up to the transmission that was on the 3.8L).

Also, I'm assuming that the wiring harness and computer and stuff are different for the 4.0L ...right?

I'm just looking for a general heads up of what I'm going to run into when trying to do the swap before I buy the engine and find out it would be cheaper to buy a van with a 4.0L already in it :) I would have done that but they are really hard to come by, at least where I live, and finding one that is running and driving is impossible around me.

The reason I want to do the swap is like I said, I'm pretty interested in that horsepower and torque gain...

Horsepower: 251 hp @ 6,000 rpm

Towing capacity: 3,600 lbs

Engine: 4.0 L V6

Torque: 259 lb-ft @ 4,100 rpm

Horsepower: 197 hp @ 5,200 rpm

Towing capacity: 3,600 lbs

Engine: 3.8 L V6

Torque: 230 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

That's an increase of

Torque: 12.6% (+29)

Horsepower: 27.41% (+54)

Also, I see that the Dodge Nitro was sporting the 4.0L but it is making another substantial boost in horsepower and torque, how? also would that be a direct swap or?

I am also wondering about the transmission, the 4.0L makes a bump in power over the 3.8, so the transmission I have should be able to hold more power than what it is taking right now... right? or is the transmission different after all...

I am building a project car that is mid-engine and I have owned multiple grand caravans, and I have already done a 3.8L engine swap to a new one when the last one blew up on me at 220k miles so I am very familiar with them, the parts a readily available and cheap for these, and since the car I'm building is being done from scratch, frame-up, I can fit it into my design nicely.

I already have a 2008 dodge grand caravan with the 3.8L v6 (if that wasn't apparent) so I would like to stick with that platform to at least try and retain the transmission.

So if anybody has any other better ideas as to how I can make those power gains while staying naturally aspirated, I would love to hear those, but I would also like to hear comments on doing the swap to a 4.0. (I'm curious why they didn't use the 4.0 in all the 3.8's as they claim the same gas mileage, there is also a 3.3L so I don't get why they have 2 engines that make the same gas mileage ratings but one has more power, what's the point?)

I would love to get a discussion going on this topic as I think it's a neat idea to inspire building projects out of these old depreciated vehicles.

Does anybody have any idea's on if there is a way to make the 6 speed more responsive? or shift faster? my van has the AutoManual feature that lets you "paddle-shift" with the PRNDL shifter, but it's much slower than just letting the automatic shift by itself/quite laggy. I have never personally broken down / rebuilt a transmission, but I am a very fast learner and a mechanical engineer (don't hate me, I promise I'm one of the nice ones) I don't think I would probably even end up being the one to rebuild it anyway, just looking to be able to not sound like a complete idiot when I talk to a transmission shop about doing whatever wonderful recommendations yall come up with.

Anyway! I know that is kinda a lot to read through and think about but I have been thinking about this project for 2 years now and with summer approaching I would like to get started on it, and I would really super appreciate some of your input on the questions I asked, and if you think of anything else, and you feel like leaving those comments here too, I would love to hear them as well.

PS: I know no matter what, this engine/transmission/project isn't going to be a Ferrari or break any records, and I know there are better platforms to do this with, but I already have a nice/fast car, I just want to build a project car without spending a million dollars and have it be something unique that there is only 1 of in the world, using what I have laying around for the most part, and just having fun and meeting new friends along the way.

I am super excited to see what responses this drums up!

Thanks!

Ryan.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall Ryan you also have a 2006 GMC Yukon.

Hopefully someone here can help you. A lot of helpful members here.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Casey

Reaction score
As I recall Ryan you also have a 2006 GMC Yukon.

Hopefully someone here can help you. A lot of helpful members here.
I sure do! 2006 gmc yukon xl that I'm finishing restoring and building into a modern vehicle :) thanks for remembering!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout