Help! 1999 Chevy Tahoe no start issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sammie859

Sammie859

Reaction score
Ok. So I sent it to Goodyear to be diagnosed. All he could tell me was that it was a tac issue? Not sure what that even means. That it could be the ECM? That it was a wiring issue. Which doesn’t make sense. But idk. Any help or advice? Goodyear said it was more than they could deal with.

OP
OP
Sammie859

Sammie859

Reaction score
The injectors are inside the manifold. The distributor is immediately behind the upper half of the manifold that has to be removed. Maybe the tech damaged the wiring going to the cam sensor in the distributor? Or maybe partially unplugged the connector, even inadvertently?

Also, if you've replaced the crankshaft position sensor, it should've had a CKP relearn performed.
What is the CKP relearn? Would that keep it from starting? And how do I do it?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok. So I sent it to Goodyear to be diagnosed. All he could tell me was that it was a tac issue? Not sure what that even means. That it could be the ECM? That it was a wiring issue. Which doesn’t make sense. But idk. Any help or advice? Goodyear said it was more than they could deal with.
Goodyear shops are mostly parts changers. They don't do well with diagnostics. Find a good independent shop, ask friends, check reviews.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What is the CKP relearn? Would that keep it from starting? And how do I do it?
CKP is Crankshaft position relearn. The CK stands for Crankshaft and the P is for position. Have to have running for the steps suggested:

How do you relearn a crankshaft sensor without a scanner?

1. Turn off all of the accessories.
  2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at. part throttle. ...
  3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6. minutes.
  4. Decelerate to 45 mph without. using the brakes, and maintain 45. ...
  5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, ...
  6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise. ...
  7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2.
What happens if I don't do a crankshaft relearn after replacing the crankshaft sensor?

Failure to do such will result in over revving of the engine, causing possible engine damage. 8. Once the engine has returned to idle, check the status of Diagnostic trouble code P1336. If the scanner indicates that the CASE has been learned, the relearn procedure is now complete

OP
OP
Sammie859

Sammie859

Reaction score
CKP is Crankshaft position relearn. The CK stands for Crankshaft and the P is for position. Have to have running for the steps suggested:

How do you relearn a crankshaft sensor without a scanner?

1. Turn off all of the accessories.
  2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at. part throttle. ...
  3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6. minutes.
  4. Decelerate to 45 mph without. using the brakes, and maintain 45. ...
  5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, ...
  6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise. ...
  7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2.
What happens if I don't do a crankshaft relearn after replacing the crankshaft sensor?

Failure to do such will result in over revving of the engine, causing possible engine damage. 8. Once the engine has returned to idle, check the status of Diagnostic trouble code P1336. If the scanner indicates that the CASE has been learned, the relearn procedure is now complete
Ive not
Been able to get it started since changing the sensor.

wirlybird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Take it to a good independent shop or to the dealer.
On the times my '97 wouldn't start it was one of these things.
Fuel pump. So get the fuel pressure checked to eliminate that.
Bad distributor cap. Unlikely in your case but make sure it is seated correctly.
Are you getting spark at the plugs?
Also on mine the mass airflow sensor had gone bad. This should give a code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck