Heater Hose "T"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this. Our '05 Tahoe has sprung a leak. Its coming from the white "T". I did get a new GM "T". Any advice on getting these off. I realize they have clips you squeeze, but me and GM don't have a good history with these clips. I know many people fail with these because they don't push in first, then pull off. But based on lots of reading it seems this job kind of sucks especially with how close it is to the firewall and under the windshield. Just looking for any tips ya'll might have

1664401968390.png

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always have issues getting them apart. No damn room to get in there. I use a flathead screwdriver and/or a long pair of needle nose pliers to break the thin black pieces off holding the white locking tabs. I just replaced both of mine back in July. Use GM parts not the Dorman stuff. You need the 2 tees and there is a connector for the inboard hose. Here is a parts list:

Here is a pic of mine installed. Black is outboard white is inboard. The steel lines coming up pretty much line themselves up where they should be but you can mark them with a marker for orientation in reassembling if you wish.

img_4917-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always have issues getting them apart. No damn room to get in there. I use a flathead screwdriver and/or a long pair of needle nose pliers to break the thin black pieces off holding the white locking tabs. I just replaced both of mine back in July. Use GM parts not the Dorman stuff. You need the 2 tees and there is a connector for the inboard hose. Here is a parts list:

Here is a pic of mine installed. Black is outboard white is inboard. The steel lines coming up pretty much line themselves up where they should be but you can mark them with a marker for orientation in reassembling if you wish.

View attachment 381587

Good info. Like an idiot, I didn't get the black one. I kind of panicked and just ordered the white to get it here since I'm gonna be out of town laster this week and I didn't want my son stranded if I'm not here.

So you did clamps instead of the stupid clips? I was actually considering doing that as well. Any idea what size and style clamps those are? Can you get them at any auto parts store? Did you just run the hose up and over the flange (I guess is what its called. The raised area?) and then use a clamp?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a hacksaw blade to cut off the tabs (as stated above). I tried a few different 'tool' made for that purpose, and they failed. Be sure to wear gloves, as that firewall insulation will itch your hands for a few days. Do NOT buy Dorman replacement Tees.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm more concnerned about these plastic hose clips where the hose itself clips onto the T. I guess I assumed the new GM "T" would come with one. I was wrong

1664469715949.png

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the second time I've done this bear of a job. I just hacked away with a saw and screwdriver until they broke off. Like the others said, just replace both black and white while you're there. No sense in doing the job twice. Black one will fail soon.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info. Like an idiot, I didn't get the black one. I kind of panicked and just ordered the white to get it here since I'm gonna be out of town laster this week and I didn't want my son stranded if I'm not here.

So you did clamps instead of the stupid clips? I was actually considering doing that as well. Any idea what size and style clamps those are? Can you get them at any auto parts store? Did you just run the hose up and over the flange (I guess is what its called. The raised area?) and then use a clamp?

There is no going away from those plastic clips unless you do a full delete and swap over to hoses, clamps and metal tee's.

Take some time to check out this info from my brotha from anotha ***** @iamdub .

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice. But this was not difficult at all. I'm not trying to be rude, but it really wasn't hard. Of course, I do all of my own work to all our daily drivers as well as my muscle cars I've owned. To give an idea, our Tahoe has 173K on it and those lines have never been changed. We've owned it since 20k miles. I think where most people go wrong are how they go about disconnecting the clamps. You have to push in first, then squeeze the tabs, then pull hard and they typically pop right off. Some will break due to age and constant hot/ cold. And I will admit, I have had some like the fuel charcoal canister clips that DID NOT want to come off. But these came off with little to no effort.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok you are blessed then, hat's off to you. So you said the white one on the inboard side was the one that failed? What about the quick connector from the heater hose that clips onto that tee? That bugger is well known to fail too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094