Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's gonna sound mean!!

I'm ready for a little more attitude from her! I found a before-and-after YT vid of these headers- Losing the cats really cranks up the volume and snarling! These things are pretty hefty but still much lighter than the factory stuff. They're 14 gauge and ceramic coated, so I hope the sound is out of the tailpipe and not all at the firewall. They at least should not have the sound of the exhaust pinging in the collectors.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm ready for a little more attitude from her! I found a before-and-after YT vid of these headers- Losing the cats really cranks up the volume and snarling! These things are pretty hefty but still much lighter than the factory stuff. They're 14 gauge and ceramic coated, so I hope the sound is out of the tailpipe and not all at the firewall. They at least should not have the sound of the exhaust pinging in the collectors.
You def won't be able to sneak up on anyone. Without cats mine is LOUD!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I finally got the all hose clamps I needed from the salvage yard, I was able to install the heater hose connectors. I definitely wanted this to be done before the engine was back in.

3/4" heater core connectors and 1/2" rear heater core connectors. The hoses to the two nipples on the water pump are 5/8":

IMG_1937.JPG

About 12" each of 3/4" and 1/2" heater hoses and box of 3-way Ts and factory hose clamps (factory from GM, Ford and Honda :D)
IMG_1939.JPG

Semi-comfy seat on cross member in engine bay:
IMG_1941.JPG

The 1/2" tubes were too close, so I trimmed them down:
IMG_1945.JPG

Minimal, but adequate gap and perfect alignment:
IMG_1946.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put together. I have all the clamps oriented so that I can reach them with extended-reach long nose pliers even if the engine were in the bay. Hopefully, I'll never have to mess with them, but they won't be too bad if I had to. Yes, I adjusted that rearmost clamp after the pics:

IMG_1947.JPG

Pliers needed to access the clamps:

IMG_1959.JPG

I think I'm gonna get 6' of 5/8" hose cuz I don't really trust the weird rubber of the hose on the Dorman aluminum Y-connector. For now, this is what I have:
IMG_1948.JPG

I gotta find some wire loom, too.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because I had easy access to it and because it couldn't hurt even if it doesn't help, I opened this hole up some:

IMG_1949.JPG

Piece cut out, edges filed smooth, primed and painted:

IMG_1952.JPG

Wouldn't make sense to not cut this out to match:

IMG_1953.JPG

Peeled insulator off:

IMG_1954.JPG

Cut out piece and smoothed the cut plastic:

IMG_1955.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the factory insulator is kinda pathetic and mine is always falling in, I decided to replace it with something taller, wider and a little denser:

IMG_1958.JPG

I hot-glued it into position:

IMG_1960.JPG

...And test-fit it against the fender. Nice and tight seal that shouldn't fall out of place:

IMG_1962.JPG

Compared to the factory seal:

IMG_1963.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re almost making me want to go ahead and install the cam and headers on my Silvy but I finally got it driving again and I kinda like that....

Take your time and just collect the parts. Or maybe you should order them cuz they may take a while if you're ordering factory parts.

I bought all my stock parts over a year ago. I'm really glad I got the lifters cuz they've doubled in price and rarity. I was the last-minute change of plans that stalled everything.