Headliner Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would something like a nutsert work? You could attach a piece of steel with a nutsert centered on the opening for the coat hook to the back side of the bracket and then make a replacement clip that you can put over the headliner when it’s installed and bolt the clip to the nutsert. A couple sheet metal screws should be sufficient to hold the piece with the nutsert in place while you install the headliner.

They make a manual rivnut gun too that’s like a big pop rivet gun that’s not too expensive.

REXBETI 14" Rivet Nut Tool, Professional Rivet Setter Kit with 7 Metric & SAE Mandrels and 60pcs Rivnuts, Labor-Saving Design, Extra 1/4-20 mandrel with Rugged Carrying Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MVXN7LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sBzfFbX063JE5

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is an awesome idea... only thing, the nut is smaller than the hole for the clip :/ I'd have to seld that hole shut or something.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is an awesome idea... only thing, the nut is smaller than the hole for the clip :/ I'd have to seld that hole shut or something.

You could attach a piece of steel with a nutsert centered on the opening for the coat hook to the back side of the bracket

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting there! Stripped old fabric off the headliner this evening. Couple questions:

1. It almost doesn't look clean, feels clean but doesn't look clean. There are dark streaks and lines all over the place. I tried to use a scotch bright to get it even cleaner. Is there a chemical wash I can use before putting the new fabric on?

2. I have some damaged corners. I had brought this up before, but is there a way repair some of these beat up corners?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ESecncxnlZf8xUltzKzvNe0hgfY7X3e9/view?usp=sharing

20200820_164825.jpg 20200820_164850.jpg 20200820_164832.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm getting there! Stripped old fabric off the headliner this evening. Couple questions:

1. It almost doesn't look clean, feels clean but doesn't look clean. Is there a chemical wash I can use before putting the new fabric on?

2. I have some damaged corners. I had brought this up before, but is there a way repair some of these beat up corners?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ESecncxnlZf8xUltzKzvNe0hgfY7X3e9/view?usp=sharing

View attachment 255295 View attachment 255296 View attachment 255298
Dirty is fine, as long as it's smooth and clean of old glue and foam. I've never had to fix one, but I've heard of guys using fiberglass mesh to fix broken pieces.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of going to walmart and getting fiberglass supplies like that.

I should elaborate, when I run my hand across the headliner there is a film / fjzzy feeling. However nothing really comes off with either the metal brush or scotch bright.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was thinking of going to walmart and getting fiberglass supplies like that.

I should elaborate, when I run my hand across the headliner there is a film / fjzzy feeling. However nothing really comes off with either the metal brush or scotch bright.

Maybe it's the fibers from the board itself--from rubbing it with the steel stiff brush. Just be generous with the headliner glue. Spray both the board and headliner material--let them tack up 1st then press them together--don't get any wrinkles or you're screwed, you won't be able to peel it back to reapply. I like to use a plastic bondo applicator to smooth it out as I'm laying the fabric down.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few things come to mind. For the busted corners, could you get some foam board the same thickness as the headliner core and cut little pieces to fill in where the core is broke or missing?

As for the fuzz, I have seen where folks will out a layer of very thin material like kraft paper over the entire headliner and glue that up and then put your finish material on.

Here is an article I found that talks about it.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/repairing-molded-fiberglass-headliners_topic50000.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts