Officially Official

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BTRMJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. New guy here straight from Canada "eh". Seeing as its expected here you are....Thank you all in advance! Ahaha!

So...my 02 Yukon Denali was bought as the winter kid mover. Interior is like new. Runs great and only needed minor repairs. Well...if you know me you'd know I dont half ass things. Its all or nothing. What began as a leaky brake line and the drivers side manifold has turned into a body off restoration! Hmmm...wow right. There's no turning back now.

I'm too the point of having to disconnect the steering shaft and the transmission lines and up, up and away! The plan is to lift the body off and place it on a trailer while I work on the chassis. It's basically getting new everything. Once the decision was made to replace all the brake lines (stainless) all the fuel lines, transmission lines...it was clear body off was the way to go! It will also make installing the headers much easier. There isn't much that isn't getting replaced (after sand blasting the frame)

There isn't much online about what I'm tackling here so I am going to try and post what ever info I can and hopefully help someone else out along the way. May make some videos but thats still TBD.

My only concern is where too lift from. As of now the plan is to lift from the firewall (hood mounts) in the front and either from the tail light cutouts or a square steel tube bolted through the seat mounts at the rear. Open to suggestions...the only one I managed to find online they lifted with a hoist at the rockers. I don't see this as a good idea. For many reasons. The main one being thats not the recommended jack points. Ideas are welcome. Id like to put it on a rotisserie after im done with the mechanical but am not sure if that's even a possibility with this particular vehicle.

Warnings, tricks or suggestions welcome. The end results will be...

All new brake lines
All new fuel lines.
All new transmission lines.
New power steering cooler.
New transmission cooler.
Stainless headers
All new A/C system
Calipers/pads/rotors
All new suspension (some of it iwas replaced right before I got the vehicle and doesn't need replaced)
Plugs/wires/filters.
New chrome door handles.
Sand blasting and sealing frame.
New rear differential fluids/cover

I'm sure I'm missing a few things but you get the picture. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to share.

I'll post anything I feel may he helpful to others. The hardest part so far has been removing the battery LOL!

Wish me luck!

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Hello and welcome!

Lots of people I speak on the phone with (while I’m at work) believe I’m Canadian by my accent. I tell them no, but I’m only a few hours away from the border.

I’ve never took the body off, so I’m of no help here. But I certainly have entertained the idea as my frame is completely and horribly rusty. Will be watching this thread and am excited to see photos (and videos if you decide to take some).

:popcorn:

DIsney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a pile of fun! My 2001 Yuuk is a frame swap. Friend and PO bought from ebay with damage. Seller failed to mention frame was wrecked from front to rear axle. We found another Yuuk (or Hoe) in Arkansas that had a tree fall on it. Get the two together with some wine and impacts and let nature take it's course. Took a weekend start to finish.

ANYWAYS... We lifted them from the rear door opening using a fixture that went on the engine hoist. It spans the width and lifts from the door jam area. We took the doors off to lighten the load, but not sure if that was needed or not. IT was very easy to do so why not.

*This is representative of what we used: https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/product/champ-body-bed-cab-lifter-4053/car-lifting-equipment

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BTRMJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello and welcome!

Lots of people I speak on the phone with (while I’m at work) believe I’m Canadian by my accent. I tell them no, but I’m only a few hours away from the border.

I’ve never took the body off, so I’m of no help here. But I certainly have entertained the idea as my frame is completely and horribly rusty. Will be watching this thread and am excited to see photos (and videos if you decide to take some).

:popcorn:
Okay then...I will definitely make videos of the procedure then. Hopefully make someone else's life a little easier. Love the accent comment...wasn't aware we had accents lol. Stay tuned! Have a great day!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

This looks like a very interesting project, so please provide in-process photos, as you proceed with this project.

OP
OP
B

BTRMJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

This looks like a very interesting project, so please provide in-process photos, as you proceed with this project.

Will do!

It got a little out of hand. almost bought a 2011 but I like this style over the newer ones so figured I'd revieve this truck. Couldn't find much online relating to the work I'm tackling so I'll attempt to be the source moving forward. More then happy to help others along their journey! Basically a rebuild so there isn't much I won't be covering lol. I'm sure I'll also have a few questions of my own. I'll start the photos and videos some time this week. Have to get this done! I haven't went to this extent before so it will be a learning curve. For what I'm doing...body off seemed like the logical choice. Hopefully I can make it easier for the next person crazy enough to a project to this extreme ahaha! I'll finally get to use my fancy new paint gun in the end too. Exciting...excruciating? Exciting! Haha

When its all said and done it will be in the 3-4 k price range (including purchasing truck itself). Seemed reasonable enough to me. So away I went. Ill post regularly and try and keep things on track with the project.

Stay tuned...ahahaa!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t get off this easy....we at least need some pictures of where you’re at right now. You can’t tease us with all this talk and no pics. We have a saying here on TYF...pics or it didn’t happen. We will be waiting! Also, surprised nobody’s asked this but how many miles on the Denali? I have an 02 I call The Beast and there’s a link to my 300+ page build thread in my signature at the bottom of my post. If you can’t see it, turn your device sideways.

OP
OP
B

BTRMJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow...sounds like something I'll be checking out for sure! Agreed about the pictures. Newbie and just figured out how to even start a thread lol. I will be working on it this evening and will get the pictures under way!!

It's the 6.0 and has 109 k MILES. It was built in Canada but aparantly not for here. Friends brother owned it from new and brought it back with him when he came back home from the states. Unfortunately it sat for amost 2 yesrs which led to come additional issues. It was indoors 90% of the time...the other 10% it became a snow bank...but not moving much never helps matters any! Once I got it I atleast ran it and drove around the yard to keep things functioning. I have another 350LS with 80k (km) that will be overhauled and eventually end up in the Denali. The truck itself will be like new after this so not letting a bad engine down the road take it out haha! I'll post pics....its actually happening. There have been times i wished it wasn't but its true! Ahahaa!

As Arnold always said...I'll be back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645