Headers on a 6.2L with Stock Muffler/Cat-Back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to pick up some fresh PRC 2.5 ls6 heads as well. I couldn't stomach pulling off the 140k heads and putting them right back on and since it's my DD, I can't really wait a few days for them to be cleaned up.

Hopefully it's a 420ish HP engine after this. Will report back results.

I'm also looking add the PRC heads when I do the DOD/LS7 lifters and cam.

Hopefully Friday I can finally get my TSP long tube headers and 3" catless y-pipe in.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool ill report back my results.

Rusted exhaust and the oil pickup tube bolt have been the most time consuming. Everything else was just busy work so far.

Not expecting a miracle but I hope I can at least break a little traction in first after these mods.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I enjoy most about this thread...…..I don't think there are 2 members with the same set up. All systems mentioned are unique.

So here will be my set up as of Friday...…..if everything in the universe aligns right.

TSP 1 3/4 Long tubes
TSP 3" catless Y pipe
Magnaflow muffler 12259
Resonator deleted

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice would be buy a torch if you dont have one!

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well its a southern truck...…...I've been good up to this point. The only manifold bolt that is broken is the very front bolt on cylinder 1.

I have hosed the manifold bolts several time with Kroil...…..so with the and the heat cycles I should be good. I did the same process on my 98 Yukon and everything broke free with a 3/8 drive ratchet. Fingers crossed it goes that way again.

I will be doing the work over at my buddies shop...….so I will have a plasma cutter, TiG and MiG on hand if shit goes sideways.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Will sound a lot more wild than mine for sure. My wife didnt even mention anything after the headers went in.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Will sound a lot more wild than mine for sure. My wife didnt even mention anything after the headers went in.

Haha. It's my daily so she doesn't really care. She made some noise when I did the muffler delete on the Rubicon.....but she's used to it now

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So headers with stock cam/heads was fine, no exhaust smell at all in the truck.

After the cam, exhaust smell started coming into the cabin. With the increased overlap of the cam (even though its the baby BTR stage 1), I believe the high flow cats have a tougher time cleaning up the exhaust. When the truck is really hot, there is no smell. But on cold starts and while it's warming up, I get that familiar catless cammed smell that sticks to your clothes. It's not egregious like an actually catless header setup, but enough where you'd notice it when you catch a whiff.

I know the exhaust leaks post cat at the slip fit connections, so I am going to try some super high temp RTV. But I may just be going back to manifolds. Not like it's a race car haha, we're talking a 16.6 1/4 mile stock that may have gone down to a low 15 with headers, cam, tune.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have no exhaust smell inside the vehicle. I've had ARH headers on 4 vehicles (2 of which were/are cammed) and Kleeman headers on a Mercedes and none had any sort of exhaust smell inside. If you have an exhaust leak in or under the engine compartment the HVAC will suck in the fumes so that could explain it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I agree... I have headers and no cats, but no cam, and i can't smell anything inside.

You must have a leak somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz