Headers on a 6.2L with Stock Muffler/Cat-Back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fine, 70 hp, 100 hp, still gonna be slow lol. I just wanted simplicity and some better throttle response and shifting. I picked the BTR stage 1 truck cam V2.

It's funny it seemed to get better MPG with DOD turned off. I hated that lugging feeling in V4 mode.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just drove it a bit more aggressively. Definitely has way more snap at 2000+ rpms.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you get a stall, it'll be a whole new animal.
I have a shift kit jr and a 2800/3000 billet stall now and it made a big difference. Especially for such a heavy vehicle.
My 2dr had a built trans with a 3200 billet stall. Hands down the best mods ever. It had a full exhaust, Thorley tri-y headers Magnaflow high flow spun cats and I made the rest 2.5" into a 3" dump over the axle.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to MPGs with stall though? Concerned about road trip efficiency.

Was thinking maybe gears instead?

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fine, 70 hp, 100 hp, still gonna be slow lol. I just wanted simplicity and some better throttle response and shifting. I picked the BTR stage 1 truck cam V2.

It's funny it seemed to get better MPG with DOD turned off. I hated that lugging feeling in V4 mode.

A stage 1 cam will probably only get 30-40hp. That’s why I’ve decided to do an LSA supercharger instead. I did a torque converter in my old TBSS and absolutely hated it and I will never do that again. Fuel economy went in the trash but I really hated the way the TCC was either on or off.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to MPGs with stall though? Concerned about road trip efficiency.

Was thinking maybe gears instead?

Just like any other mod, it all depends on how you drive. Personally I haven't noticed any change in MPGs and I've daily driven every vehicle, 2dr went on a couple 800+ mile trips once with a 7x14 enclosed trailer slam full. My 07 has been on about 20 2 to 3 hour trips to the beach. Then we moved there haha.

What gears do you have now?
I did gears once, went from 3:73s to 4:10s and I was not happy. Around town was ok but highway was were it really suffered. 3:73 gears are the only gears I'll use for a daily/family hauler. These were all lowered street trucks.

These are just my personal experiences.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A stage 1 cam will probably only get 30-40hp. That’s why I’ve decided to do an LSA supercharger instead. I did a torque converter in my old TBSS and absolutely hated it and I will never do that again. Fuel economy went in the trash but I really hated the way the TCC was either on or off.

Ya, but it will add a lot of torque in the low end. Stock form the 5.3 can't get out of it's own way. At least 1st gear feels snappy now with the headers.

Supercharger is def the way to go. Heavy vehicles need that flat torque curve.

Just like any other mod, it all depends on how you drive. Personally I haven't noticed any change in MPGs and I've daily driven every vehicle, 2dr went on a couple 800+ mile trips once with a 7x14 enclosed trailer slam full. My 07 has been on about 20 2 to 3 hour trips to the beach. Then we moved there haha.

What gears do you have now?
I did gears once, went from 3:73s to 4:10s and I was not happy. Around town was ok but highway was were it really suffered. 3:73 gears are the only gears I'll use for a daily/family hauler. These were all lowered street trucks.

These are just my personal experiences.

I have the stock 3.42s and 20" wheels. I challenged my buddy and his 2013 stock raptor to a little race, we shall see if I can keep up after the cam. Will be fun either way.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, but it will add a lot of torque in the low end. Stock form the 5.3 can't get out of it's own way. At least 1st gear feels snappy now with the headers.

Supercharger is def the way to go. Heavy vehicles need that flat torque curve.

I have the stock 3.42s and 20" wheels. I challenged my buddy and his 2013 stock raptor to a little race, we shall see if I can keep up after the cam. Will be fun either way.

A stall will help greatly with that first gear leap and snappiness :)

Lookin forward to the cam install. It'll definitely be fun haha.
I saw a engine dyno video of a comparison between a stock 5.3 and a stage 1, very impressed with the gains. It was a high mile 5.3, ****** 1-7/8 LTs, TBSS intake, Fast 92mm TB, Fast 89lb injectors and Holley ECU.

Found it

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool video. 411 crank HP will be plenty for the family hauler. Just some passing power and some low speed grunt is all I want.

Should be fun. I am booking a day off next Monday to do it. Given I won't have frozen manifolds, I envision I can get the heads off very easily. Since shit always comes up, I am spanning it over 2 days just to be safe.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to pick up some fresh PRC 2.5 ls6 heads as well. I couldn't stomach pulling off the 140k heads and putting them right back on and since it's my DD, I can't really wait a few days for them to be cleaned up.

Hopefully it's a 420ish HP engine after this. Will report back results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos