Shorty Headers on 2013 6.2L - yea or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
As with the CAI question in my previous post, I'm looking only for sound/performance gains on the street.

Shorty headers seem like a fairly easy bolt-on, though too pricey for me if there's no real benefit. I have not disabled the dynamic cylinder shut-off, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOPE... Either go with full length headers and high flow Y pipes/ cats
then get a tune to take advantage or just leave the factory exhaust manifolds in place.
The 6.2 has a very well designed catback system other than the resonator at the very end

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... looking only for sound / performance gains on the street.
... have not disabled the dynamic cylinder shut-off, if that makes a difference.
An ecm and tcm tune is a far better investment than a cold air intake, headers, and/or exhaust, not only in terms of performance, but durability and longevity as well.
Disabling V4mode helps the two-mode lifters last longer, as well as the torque converter clutch.
(Change your oil and ATF more often than GM says to, that also helps as well.)

To DRASTICALLY oversimplify the performance benefits, the engine and transmission will run cooler and respond more crisply and enthusiastically to your foot.
(Kids might say 'turntupalil'.)

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, if you want to up the performance, get a BlackBear Performance tune. It will unleash the full power of the 6.2, and it will improve the shift performance of the transmission, as well.

What you will have to decide is whether you want a 87, 91, or 93 octane tune. I went with the 93 octane tune, since it is readily available where I live. More expensive to run? Sure, but I forget about it as soon as I hit the gas pedal.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... you want to up the performance, get a BlackBear Performance tune.
It will unleash the full power of the 6.2L, and it will improve the shift performance of the transmission, as well.
What you will have to decide is whether you want a 87, 91, or 93 octane tune.
I went with the 93 octane tune, since it is readily available where I live.
More expensive to run? Sure, but I forget about it as soon as I hit the gas pedal.
If for some strange reason, you want an 87 tune, be aware, the only way is effectively a performance downgrade.
Only way to tune a 6.2L so that it runs SAFE from knock & ping on 87 octane, is to DEtune it, so that if you try to work or play hard with it, it disappoints by sucking, instead of wearing itself out and breaking.

I could continue splitting hairs ...
Just 'cause the 6.2L is technically able to TOLERATE 87 octane, and can even be DEtuned to accept it ...
... does not mean that it's worth doing.
One way or another, somehow, operating a 6.2L on 87 octane is UNDOING it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that. New thing to research!
I'll add my voice to the chorus of 6.2 owners who echo @Foggy's advice. The stock intake, heads and exhaust on the 6.2 flow so well from the factory, they're hard to improve on in ways that make the investment worth the hassle and cost. The only way I would invest in headers for it would be after, or as part of, a cam swap. Both of my 6.2's are tuned by Backbear and it was the best money I've spent on them.

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Putting this in the file. BB it is.

...does one need to rent the scan tool or is that just for custom tunes? I'll be adding this to a bone-stock 2013 6.2, save for a K&N CAI

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'd be more than happy to go over our tuning process with you! Please use the link below to shoot us an email or give us a call:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900