Headers on a 6.2L with Stock Muffler/Cat-Back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to put a Corsa cat-back on my Escalade but after thinking more about how I wanted to spend the money I've been thinking about doing ARH long tubes and a tune, which appears to be good for 40-45 WHP. I'd love to do headers and a Corsa but I only will have the money for one or the other. I'd like the power increase but I've only been able to find a few videos on YouTube of headers and the stock cat-back on a 6.2L. They sound good at idle but in one of them where he revved it a little, I'm not 100% sure I like it but I know the sound can be deceiving. If anyone has this setup, I have three questions. Is there any drone? I cannot deal with any drone (which is why I've always spent the money on Corsa). Is the volume unbearable on long drives? Does it sound like an old 80's truck with a Flowmaster?

Thanks.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the reason I ask if it sounds like an 80's truck with a Flowmaster is because of this video:
. It sounds great until he revvs it a bit. It could just be crappy microphone and YouTube video compression so that's why I ask.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot the exhaust out in front of the rear passenger tire!!! Couple of those videos out there

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not interested in that. This is a family vehicle, I'm not looking to make it annoying. My choices are either headers and the stock cat-back or the stock manifolds and cats stay and I'm doing a Corsa Sport side exit (BEHIND the tire!).

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just fooling around. The tune is going to make the biggest difference so maybe consider which you’d like more, the sound or the power. If you get the tune you’ll want to have the headers on first so the tune can account for it. If you watch the marketplace here they come up once in a while

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, I'd be interested in what you find out and what you end up with. I run a 5.3L now, but I can see a 6.2L in my future.

You referenced a video, but who knows what the true tone is, since videos are notorious for variability in sound quality. And lots of people shoot the video with the recording device right next to the tail pipe, which is not a valid approach in my book. I doubt that adding headers to an otherwise stock exhaust system will change the tone much---probably add just a little volume while deepening the exhaust note. Would be surprised if it induces drone, since you are retaining stock cats and resonator.

Again, please keep us posted with what you end up with.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just fooling around. The tune is going to make the biggest difference so maybe consider which you’d like more, the sound or the power. If you get the tune you’ll want to have the headers on first so the tune can account for it. If you watch the marketplace here they come up once in a while

The headers would give power and sound I'm just worried about it sounding bad. I can only afford one or the other and probably won't be able to do anything else for a few years. I started off wanting a Corsa cat-back because I love their sound and looks of the dual side-exit tip. Then I thought that money could buy a cam and kit but the little power gain from a small cam with stock manifolds isn't worth the time it'll take me to put it in. Then I found out the headers even with a stock engine and cat-back were good for about 40 whp with a tune. I'd love to do the headers and the Corsa but if I had that much money I'd probably still want to do one or the other and get my bumper covers replaced and painted.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, I'd be interested in what you find out and what you end up with. I run a 5.3L now, but I can see a 6.2L in my future.

You referenced a video, but who knows what the true tone is, since videos are notorious for variability in sound quality. And lots of people shoot the video with the recording device right next to the tail pipe, which is not a valid approach in my book. I doubt that adding headers to an otherwise stock exhaust system will change the tone much---probably add just a little volume while deepening the exhaust note. Would be surprised if it induces drone, since you are retaining stock cats and resonator.

Again, please keep us posted with what you end up with.

That's what I was hoping. It does look like the camera/phone/whatever was pretty close to the exhaust. I really like how it sounds at idle in that video. I just don't want it to sound like an 80's beat up truck with a Flowmaster!

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was hoping. It does look like the camera/phone/whatever was pretty close to the exhaust. I really like how it sounds at idle in that video. I just don't want it to sound like an 80's beat up truck with a Flowmaster!

I'm with you, brother!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how does it sound now? Are the headers going to change the tone and sound that much? Is your resonator and muffler in tact? I have zero experience with adding headers to a stock exhaust but I can’t imagine the sound being that different. What if you do just the tune then stash the headers money away til you can get the corsa? Just tossing stuff out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd