Head gasket YAY!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil 'Bird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTV won't hold, but TBI's are easy. Pull distributor, label everything, remove plugs, wires, manifolds, intake, mark all FI lines and vac ports, and pull intake. Take heads off (might as well do both) and put new gaskets on, re-assemble. A TBI 350 is just like any carb'd 350.

+1 yup not that hard at all
first do a compression test that would tell u if u got a bad head gasket

i had the same problem on my 95, check compression two cylinders down....pulled the head off , sure enough bad head gasket, and decided to pull the other and sent the heads out....well one of my heads was cracked....so i was gonna get new head but my bottom end had 120,000 on it so I ened up rebuilding my whole motor, made it a 383....hope u dont have my same bad luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 yup not that hard at all
first do a compression test that would tell u if u got a bad head gasket

i had the same problem on my 95, check compression two cylinders down....pulled the head off , sure enough bad head gasket, and decided to pull the other and sent the heads out....well one of my heads was cracked....so i was gonna get new head but my bottom end had 120,000 on it so I ened up rebuilding my whole motor, made it a 383....hope u dont have my same bad luck

i have a brand new ls1 383 that i bought about a year ago and pretty much all the things i need to do the swap, but money's been tight. when i got the ls1 i was working full time and making great money, but that was a year ago. so im just trying to keep my stock engine running until i can finish my project.

tahoeman23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you got a water leak, watchout! There's a good change that coolant might have already mixed with the oil!!!! you can check for milky gunk by removing one of the valve covers and look inside. If there isn't any milky gunk, then your good. But if there is, you might end up rebuilding your motor.

OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres no water in the oil. im kinda cuttn out the idea of the head gasket, it stopped leakin and then now theres some drips commn outa somewhere
front of the motor around the water pump but not the pump i kno tthis forsure
i havnt got a pic but will

theres talk of the intake manifold gasket?
would this cause a coolant leak?

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

And...??? Either too relieved to post, or too drunk to post... hahahaha

lol to drunk this weekend was party weekend at my friends collage omg and it still continues!! haha anyway i drove the hoe 200 miles and so far so good.. so im not sure i will get a pic of where i think its commn from and see if i can get some help.

this hoes has had so many coolant leaks eveytime i fix one another one starts!!! ugh

Enem178

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just did my intake gaskets a couple mths ago. The gaskets are plastic and they crack and leak. Your lucky its leaking outside the motor and not in. Do the fuel pressure regular while your in there too.

OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea maybe i will thats a good idea. the trucks just kinda been chilln maybe when the weather gets warmer ill start the process!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyetheguy93