Head gasket YAY!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so to day i crawled under the hoe to fix a oil leak, and noticed coolant drippn from the front and went to check it out and this always has a coolant leak ive fixed it numerious times! ugh

anyway theres coolant coming from the head above the water pump right where the head sittn on the block.. DAMN!! anyone done a head gasket before I've done one on a semi but never ona chevy 350
so some pointers would be great
maybe some do's and don'ts

thanks in advance!

OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like its just starting to leak, im sure its not the water pump i just replaced and glued that sucker up not to long ago its drippn right at the seam of the head and block i can see it,
i don't drive the hoe that much only around the block or to the store every now and then, since i have a new toy to drive, but i wanna get it fixed so when in doubt i have another vehicle to drive.

since its a little leak... maybe rtv it??

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
RTV will be difficult. Never done the heads on a vortech, but I'm guessing it isn't hard. Someone did a write up a while ago, but it's lost in the ****** of the forum. Good luck, sir!!
:drunk:

OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not a vortech 95 tbi! well its only leaking in one spot so thats why i was thinking rtv but hmmm

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Hm. You're on your own on this one, but Id be very cautious about trying to get RTV in there. If you are going to try that as a last-ditch, you might also consider one of the more hard core radiator stop leak type stuff. But I shy away from those because they scare me a little. :) Just food for thought.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
RTV won't hold, but TBI's are easy. Pull distributor, label everything, remove plugs, wires, manifolds, intake, mark all FI lines and vac ports, and pull intake. Take heads off (might as well do both) and put new gaskets on, re-assemble. A TBI 350 is just like any carb'd 350.

OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTV won't hold, but TBI's are easy. Pull distributor, label everything, remove plugs, wires, manifolds, intake, mark all FI lines and vac ports, and pull intake. Take heads off (might as well do both) and put new gaskets on, re-assemble. A TBI 350 is just like any carb'd 350.

ok i didnt think it was going to be hard, i thought i heard or read somewhere u have to mark something on the distributor so it lines back up correct or something like that, so the timing isn't off when u start the truck back up??

rucr8z2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you sure its not the corner of the intake manifold leaking down that way?
so common it's not funny anymore................

OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill take a picture of where its leaking tomarrow when the suns out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigmurdock