Harsh shifting and shift flaring (dealer wants to replace valve body) 2016 Escalade 113k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
New to me 2016 Escalade with 113k miles. Had a little bit of a harsh 1-2 shift. I noticed the trans temp acting goofy so after doing some research I got the dealer to replace the trans temp wiring harness, filter, and fluid yesterday under special warranty. They did a fast learn on it after and told me it's still shifting bad. They told me that they wanted to replace the valve body for $1900 which was a shock to me. I'm not one to throw parts at something so I'm not sure how they arrived there so I took it home and here I sit trying to figure out what to do. On my ride home I found that it is shifting worse than it did before I brought it in. Its flaring on 2 or 3 gears now and occasionally hard shifting and a couple times delayed engagement.

I did some quick research and found valve body's online with the same part number that the parts department gave me. I understand they have to make money, but they had quoted just over $1400 for the valve body and the two seals that they need. They are $700 on Summits website. If I'm going to throw parts at something I sure don't want those parts marked up 100% plus pay their expensive 3.5 hours of labor at their shop rate.

My VIN is 1GYS4BKJ1GR331622 The part number they provided in parts dept was 24042435. On GMpartsstore it says 24042435 was replaced with 19432719 which is just over $600 online. Anyone know for sure based off my VIN what all I would need to provide to another shop to just install these new OEM parts and how much I would expect to pay for labor to do so.

Thanks!

Kurt

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the 6 or 8 speed? If 8 speed, did they actually get the level correct when the serviced it? Just went through this shitshow on my 2017. It wasn't flaring up, but had a cavitation noise.

If 6 speed, you may be in deeper based on what has been stated on this site numerous times. Maybe @NickTransmissions would have better insight.

OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
Is it the 6 or 8 speed? If 8 speed, did they actually get the level correct when the serviced it? Just went through this shitshow on my 2017. It wasn't flaring up, but had a cavitation noise.

If 6 speed, you may be in deeper based on what has been stated on this site numerous times. Maybe @NickTransmissions would have better insight.
8sp

OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score

And yes he told me he set level with trans at right temp with the set bolt

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New to me 2016 Escalade with 113k miles. Had a little bit of a harsh 1-2 shift. I noticed the trans temp acting goofy so after doing some research I got the dealer to replace the trans temp wiring harness, filter, and fluid yesterday under special warranty. They did a fast learn on it after and told me it's still shifting bad. They told me that they wanted to replace the valve body for $1900 which was a shock to me. I'm not one to throw parts at something so I'm not sure how they arrived there so I took it home and here I sit trying to figure out what to do. On my ride home I found that it is shifting worse than it did before I brought it in. Its flaring on 2 or 3 gears now and occasionally hard shifting and a couple times delayed engagement.

I did some quick research and found valve body's online with the same part number that the parts department gave me. I understand they have to make money, but they had quoted just over $1400 for the valve body and the two seals that they need. They are $700 on Summits website. If I'm going to throw parts at something I sure don't want those parts marked up 100% plus pay their expensive 3.5 hours of labor at their shop rate.

My VIN is 1GYS4BKJ1GR331622 The part number they provided in parts dept was 24042435. On GMpartsstore it says 24042435 was replaced with 19432719 which is just over $600 online. Anyone know for sure based off my VIN what all I would need to provide to another shop to just install these new OEM parts and how much I would expect to pay for labor to do so.

Thanks!

Kurt
Ill read this more thorougly s bit later and provide a more detailed response then but generally speaking, delayed engagements and flares are either VB or case.

When (what gears) are you experiencing flares and delayed engagements? Any missing gears?

A priori, it prob needs to come out for overhaul but ill review it later before i say for sure based in info you have/can provide.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@DurtyKurty - Do you know what fluid was put into the trans at the time of service?

I am not yet familiar with the 8 and 10 speed GM units however your symptoms can be sticking valves in the valve body or initial failure symptoms of applied elements in the case...Flaring and delayed engagement occurs when one set of applied elements are coming off and another set are 'coming on' to enable the mechanical shift to the next gear in the sequence. So if applied elements (clutch packs, bands) are excessively worn, they will neutralize until max line pressure for that element is present for like a split second or so. Once they completely wear, flare shifts will be replaced by a neutral condition for that gear.

In essense, it's a timing issue which is either caused by:

1) Delays in the application of the next set of applied elements required to grab the next gear due to valve(s) in the valve body not stroking due to either being stuck or mechanical functional issues w/the applicable solenoids that control those valves
2) Incorrect clearances in one or more applied elements (bands, clutch packs)
3) Worn checkballs/cbs stuck in the spscer plate or displaced from their locations

Harsh shifting (especially if it's late) is either broken accumulator springs (for those transmissions that have accumulator circuite), malfunctioning pressure switches (like those on a 6L trans TEHCM) or worn valve train components.

Next steps: I would stick a two - way scanner on a drive around to see if
a) shifts are being commanded by the PCM
b) and if so, if they are occurring as expected or not

If the ECM is functioning correctly (i.e. shifts are being commanded as expected) then the problem is likely in either the VB, solenoids or both.

At that point, time to drop the valve body, test solenoids for electrical and mechanical function and valve trains for freedom of movement and check balls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
@DurtyKurty - Do you know what fluid was put into the trans at the time of service?

I am not yet familiar with the 8 and 10 speed GM units however your symptoms can be sticking valves in the valve body or initial failure symptoms of applied elements in the case...Flaring and delayed engagement occurs when one set of applied elements are coming off and another set are 'coming on' to enable the mechanical shift to the next gear in the sequence. So if applied elements (clutch packs, bands) are excessively worn, they will neutralize until max line pressure for that element is present for like a split second or so. Once they completely wear, flare shifts will be replaced by a neutral condition for that gear.

In essense, it's a timing issue which is either caused by:

1) Delays in the application of the next set of applied elements required to grab the next gear due to valve(s) in the valve body not stroking due to either being stuck or mechanical functional issues w/the applicable solenoids that control those valves
2) Incorrect clearances in one or more applied elements (bands, clutch packs)
3) Worn checkballs/cbs stuck in the spscer plate or displaced from their locations

Harsh shifting (especially if it's late) is either broken accumulator springs (for those transmissions that have accumulator circuite), malfunctioning pressure switches (like those on a 6L trans TEHCM) or worn valve train components.

Next steps: I would stick a two - way scanner on a drive around to see if
a) shifts are being commanded by the PCM
b) and if so, if they are occurring as expected or not

If the ECM is functioning correctly (i.e. shifts are being commanded as expected) then the problem is likely in either the VB, solenoids or both.

At that point, time to drop the valve body, test solenoids for electrical and mechanical function and valve trains for freedom of movement and check balls.
Mobil 1 LV ATF HP fluid

OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
Did any of the above info help?

Also, did the dealer do a diag (scanning, two-way testing, visually inspecting) the valve body and solenoids before informing that you need a new one?
Thanks for the info. They scanned after the temp sensor replacement and did the quick learn. I don’t think they suspected the VB going into this as it’s normally that temp sensor causing the issues. They just dropped pan replaced sensor, fluid, and filter and put her back together for a test drive after fluid level check. I guess the solenoids are built into the VB which is what they told me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz