Harsh shifting and shift flaring (dealer wants to replace valve body) 2016 Escalade 113k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. They scanned after the temp sensor replacement and did the quick learn. I don’t think they suspected the VB going into this as it’s normally that temp sensor causing the issues. They just dropped pan replaced sensor, fluid, and filter and put her back together for a test drive after fluid level check. I guess the solenoids are built into the VB which is what they told me.
Transgo makes a kit to correct flares, delayed engagements & harsh shifts associated with the pulse dampner malfunctioning for those 8-speed units. That may be at the root of your issue.

If you do plan on installing a valve body kit of any kind, you'll need to perform a "fast adapt relearn" to reset the transmission command and control logic to factory defaults.

I wouldnt drive it any more until you can get it fixed as repeated flares and harsh engagements can potentially damage hard parts inside the trans...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
Someone in the Cadillac forums mentioned a buzzing sound could be heard after engine is shut off if the valve body (I'm guess solenoid is defective).

So I pulled it into the garage this morning as I was going to do plugs/wires and filters this afternoon and there was a definite buzzing/fast ticking sound coming from the trans pan after I shut it off that lasted probably 30 seconds or longer

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop the pan and ohm out the solenoids using a DVOM.

Look up the resistance to confirm but if they're like any of the other other force solenoids used in all GM transmissions, normal resistance is prob somewhere between 20-23 ohms.

If one or more is way off from the others, you've found the problem(s).

Like i said, i'd not drive it until you have a chance to get it fixed but your call...

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
choices:
1- trust the dealer
2- 2nd opinion at another dealer
3- another opinion at "trans" shop
4- live with it

I like watching this guy especially on TikTok

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
choices:
1- trust the dealer
2- 2nd opinion at another dealer
3- another opinion at "trans" shop
4- live with it

I like watching this guy especially on TikTok
5 - diag and fix it so that you

- dont have to "live with it" at least until internal case damage occurs and its not drivable

- unnecessarily spend money at one or more dealerships or transmission shops

@DurtyKurty - Here' a tear down video where the guy shows/explains how to remove the 8L's valve body (if you detetermine the vb or solenoid(s) are the source of the problem).

OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
Drop the pan and ohm out the solenoids using a DVOM.

Look up the resistance to confirm but if they're like any of the other other force solenoids used in all GM transmissions, normal resistance is prob somewhere between 20-23 ohms.

If one or more is way off from the others, you've found the problem(s).

Like i said, i'd not drive it until you have a chance to get it fixed but your call...
I didnt have an option...this is my daily driver.

OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
over the last few days...after the fast relearn and i took posession and put on a couple hundred miles...I've experienced 1 to none delayed engagements... 80% of the time shift flares 1-2 shifts...sometimes it shifts normal but not normally and occasionally a 4-5 (i think the gear) shift flare...the tq converterter lockup confuses me on which gear were talking about

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt have an option...this is my daily driver.
Yep, i know its a tough situation, try to consolidate trips. Hopefully your drivability symptoms dont worsen before you can fix it (or get it fixed).

If you can do the work yourself, you'd save a boatload of $$. If you dont have the scanner needed to do a fast adapt, a mobile mechanic can prob do it for $150-200 or so...

OP
OP
D

DurtyKurty

Reaction score
Yep, i know its a tough situation, try to consolidate trips. Hopefully your drivability symptoms dont worsen before you can fix it (or get it fixed).

If you can do the work yourself, you'd save a boatload of $$. If you dont have the scanner needed to do a fast adapt, a mobile mechanic can prob do it for $150-200 or so...
its all gotten better except the 1-2 shift flare and the occasionaly 3-4 or 4-5 flare (i think its the 4-5 flare). Wish i had more space. I used to tune LS stuff and have done a lot of work 15 years ago on my stuff but not now.

Gearz

Reaction score
I never had any luck with having any transmissions worked on or overhauled. I spent to much money and they fixed one thing and another thing went bad. I personally learnt my leson a put GM reman in that had a warranty and all the updates done. You can go poor fixing it. When I put the reman in the truck came back to life and the initial problem was the torque converter which they miss diagnosed and replaced a valve body .Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork