Had another lifter collapse at 281K, Now running it as a 6 cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am waiting for my slow ass house to be finished to change out the cam. I had one lifter fail at 278k so I swapped out the failed lifter but was left with a tick since the cam must be damaged. I drove it a little as a 7cyl then just put the rocker arms back on and said screw it drive until dies. Well on monday another lifter collapsed. So I went ahead and disabled both cylinders (remove rocker arms and unplug injector). On the highway it isn't bad it is just really rough idling.

But every time i start it to drive it is weird for about the first 1/4 mile. You can floor it or be part throttle and it won't go over 20mph and stumbles and burbles, then all of a sudden it wakes up, accelerates and has power and you can drive it as normal as can be expected running down 2 cylinders.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has your gas mpg improved?
i suggest try manually shifting gears M2 lock then when over 25mph then upshift.. and let off the throttle when upshifting

Go find a used 4.8 or 6.0, 6.2,

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's pretty impressive. can't say I've heard of that

OP
OP
robgreg75

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has your gas mpg improved?
i suggest try manually shifting gears M2 lock then when over 25mph then upshift.. and let off the throttle when upshifting

Go find a used 4.8 or 6.0, 6.2,
I have no idea since the computer has no clue what is going on with the engine

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea since the computer has no clue what is going on with the engine
Odometer mileage divided by gallons pumped... try and use the same pump for consistency

Last edited:
OP
OP
robgreg75

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odometer mileage divided by gallons pumped... try and use the same pump for consistency
I know how to do it manually but I am not putting gas in it very often since barely driving it.