Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man DUb, that thing looks stellar... Cam swap and gaskets with oil pump, DOD delete and slap back in... I would not hesitate to run a motor looking that good in cylinders for another 200k...

Ya know, the only gasket that was leaking was the oil pan gasket had a small weep. Someone had been in there before and got a little sloppy with the RTV. I don't know why they messed with the pan since the AFM pressure relief valve didn't have the shield. All the other gaskets I've removed had dates of '07, so I'm confident they're factory original. Crank and rear main seals were completely dry.

I have a non-AFM cam, new oil pump, new lifters, timing set, etc. all on deck!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do I feel like AFM delete translates to hawg ass cam and FBO

With pretty much anyone else, it would. It was really tough deciding to tear into it this far and not upgrade it. I really want more cubes, but need to focus funds and efforts elsewhere, outside of the garage. So I'm doing just what is needed to make this thing 100% reliable until the time comes for a motor swap. Bought all stock parts including a cam from an L33. Well, that was the plan going into it. Things ALWAYS change. :secret:

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current status and pics-

Work kept me outta the garage again last night, so I can only expand on Thursday night's progress.

No crud or gunk here, just the expected oil staining:

IMG_0879.JPG

Entrance of the pickup tube:
IMG_0880.JPG

Pressure relief valve in the oil pan. Since the VLOM had been updated and the oil pan obviously has been off before, I expected to find the spray shield installed on this valve. It's not there so I don't know why they removed the pan. This will be removed and the port capped off:
IMG_0881.JPG

Again, no sludge. This amber staining wipes off with a rag:
IMG_0882.JPG

Original machining marks inside the oil pump are still visible behind where the rotors spin:
IMG_0884.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing set looked great. I expected the tensioner to at least be more worn than this if not broken with pieces laying in the oil pan:

IMG_0885.JPG

Grooves from chain:
IMG_0886.JPG

Side shot to show depth of grooves. It took 12 years and 200,000 miles for the chain to wear into the pad less than the thickness of a credit card:
IMG_0887.JPG

Cam retainer plate shows very minimal wear from back of cam sprocket. Yes, I had to drill out one of those bolts. An older style, non-countersunk plate and ARP bolts will replace it:
IMG_0888.JPG

Almost no perceivable wear from the cam on the back side of the retainer plate:
IMG_0890.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it sits, it's just the block and rotating assembly. I'm not cracking that apart since then it'd turn into an all-out rebuild. My objective was strictly to delete the AFM parts and reseal it. I wanted to spend the least amount of money and effort on a 200K-mile 5.3 since a 6.0 or 6.2 is my goal.

Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I'm having the heads cleaned, valve stems and valve springs replaced with stock LS6 springs and a cleaning shave done on the mating surface. Since they'll be getting shaved, it won't cost any more to take off a little more to at least get the chambers to the advertised spec of 64cc since they're commonly around 66cc actual volume. For a few more dollars, the guy will clean up/mildly port the runners to improve a few minor factory shortcomings and blend in the bowls, do a valve job, hone the guides and set up the springs. I had this service done on some Z06 243s and they gained 32cfm. Since the heads can be used elsewhere or sold separately from the 5.3, I'm allowing their re-working into the budget. For the resulting mildly raised compression, and many other factors, I've already budgeted for a Black Bear tune and I have an AutoCal already (craigslist score).

Buuuuuuut, last week, a buddy offered me a virtually new TSP Stage 2 Low Lift cam for $100. Since I'm already getting a tune, a cam would be covered, so of course I jumped on it. Cams like this work better with compression around 10.5 or higher, and I was already raising it some with the shaved heads. Rather than shave more, I decided it'd be better to get thinner head gaskets. This part kinda sucks since they're $80 EACH when the stock MLS gaskets are $50 for the pair and I already have them. But, considering that I'm saving $300 on the cam, the $110 extra cost is still a bargain. Between the cam, higher compression, better head flow and tune, I'm (conservatively?) expecting around 400HP/400TQ at the crank with no sacrifices anywhere in the rev range. That's 80HP and 60TQ for $210. Since mine's FlexFuel, I may have it tuned on E85. I don't see why I shouldn't- it's "free" power that I'm leaving on the table otherwise. When E85 isn't available, I'll run 93 just as I've always done. I have some questions for Black Bear...

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Guilty!

Really, it shouldn't grow much beyond this. About the only other splurge I'm considering is a slightly looser converter. I'm very tempted to slap in a stock 4.2 Trailblazer converter. I really don't want a cheap remanufactured one, but then it might be fine with my usage of this thing. I'd prefer a new OEM one (NOS). But if I can't find one for a good price, then I may get the one from Circle D since they actually upgrade it in their rebuild.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Current status and pics-

Work kept me outta the garage again last night, so I can only expand on Thursday night's progress.

No crud or gunk here, just the expected oil staining:

View attachment 242430

Entrance of the pickup tube:
View attachment 242431

Pressure relief valve in the oil pan. Since the VLOM had been updated and the oil pan obviously has been off before, I expected to find the spray shield installed on this valve. It's not there so I don't know why they removed the pan. This will be removed and the port capped off:
View attachment 242432

Again, no sludge. This amber staining wipes off with a rag:
View attachment 242433

Original machining marks inside the oil pump are still visible behind where the rotors spin:
View attachment 242434
Man! That thing is super clean. Regular maintenance means everything. Wish mine was that clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia