Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wishful thinking I suppose

The idea was spawned from finding a way to cover the welded-up holes from removing the roof rack bosses. Painting would be the logical, but most expensive route, although that's likely the ultimate solution. I've always liked the Euro style with the black tops. After welding them up, I'd prime the top and undersides, bodywork the topside smooth, then have it wrapped in gloss black. I might have to do the hood, maybe even just the top of it.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work. There are several vinyl suppliers on ebay that will sell the vinyl to cover the grille bow tie, too. I am kind of lazy though.

I bet you could stop by a vinyl sign shop, perhaps one that you have done or would do business with, and ask for a scrap "for experimenting purposes". They throw away plenty of scraps when cutting larger pieces. The shop I went to, I've used a couple times for lettering on my work van. I asked for a scrap and all he wanted in return was a good Google review, which I had no reason to not give because they did good and fast work for my lettering.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my Big 3 today. Well, most of it.

Used some 1/0 welding cable, hecho en USA, no less:

IMG_5793.JPG

Cut the insulation to fit the lug, but not all the way through to avoid cutting any copper:

IMG_5795.JPG

Clamped the lug in Vice Grips and filled the cavity in front of where the copper would go with solder to remove air space and to secure the tip of the wire in the lug. Crimped with hydraulic tool, added the braided sleeve and secured with heavy-duty adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing:

IMG_5797.JPG

Attached to the factory terminal for now. This one runs from the battery negative to the frame, under a strut mount nut:

IMG_5799.JPG

Last edited:

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
^ i ran into a place thwt manufacturers foam.
They have big scrap bins, they were more than happy to sell me some scrap blocks at a significant discount.

I also learned they take their scrap foam, and sell to the company here in utah that sells those gigantic bean bag chairs.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Did my Big 3 today. Well, most of it.

Used some 1/0 welding cable, hecho en USA, no less:

View attachment 277621

Cut the insulation to fit the lug, but not all the way through to avoid cutting any copper:

View attachment 277622

Clamped the lug in Vice Grips and filled the cavity in front of where the copper would go with solder to remove air space and to secure the tip of the wire in the lug. Crimped with hydraulic tool, added the braided sleeve and secured with heavy-duty adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing:

View attachment 277623

Attached to the factory terminal for now:

View attachment 277624
Nice. I want to do this--one day.
^ i ran into a place thwt manufacturers foam.
They have big scrap bins, they were more than happy to sell me some scrap blocks at a significant discount.

I also learned they take their scrap foam, and sell to the company here in utah that sells those gigantic bean bag chairs.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This 6" one was too short to bother with the mesh, so it's all heat shrink:

IMG_5801.JPG

It runs from the engine block (at the bolt for the power steering pump bracket) to the frame (under an engine mount bolt):

IMG_5802.JPG

Copied the factory alternator-to-main fuse cable:

IMG_5805.JPG

With very minor trimming of the mount on the firewall, the lug fit fine:

IMG_5807.JPG

Followed the original routing and was even able to slip the terminal boot on after a little squirt of B'laster:

IMG_5808.JPG

I want to replace the battery terminals with some marine post-to-stud adapters. I'll make the positive lead from the battery to the main fuse when I get those terminals. I'd like to make a starter wire as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667