Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate you documenting all this and sharing the progress. Even though you’ve only got a little time to work on it after work, seems like you’re making good, consistent progress to me. Keep up the good work!

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
Why do I feel like AFM delete translates to hawg ass cam and FBO

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You work ******* quick. That engine is very clean for the mileage. Mine will not be that clean. I bought mine from my dad and he had always ran conventional. I continued with 3k mile intervals until around 140k. I switched over to mobil 1 and thats when I got the lifter tick:(

I went back to the high mileage castrol but my screen has clogged. I need to do this to mine but I don't have the motivation. Maybe one day....

PSA-If this doesn't convince you that synthetic oil works, nothing will. My buddies SSS has 150k and its equally as clean under the valve cover.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate you documenting all this and sharing the progress. Even though you’ve only got a little time to work on it after work, seems like you’re making good, consistent progress to me. Keep up the good work!

I hope it proves valuable to others in the future. It'll at least be good memoirs to remind me of all the stuff I've been through with this thing!

I took a break from it Wednesday but had an hour to throw at it this evening. It's now torn down to the block and rotating assembly, so as far as I'm tearing it down. It's all cleanup and reassembly from here. I took some pics to document some details but I'll upload them later.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You work ******* quick. That engine is very clean for the mileage. Mine will not be that clean. I bought mine from my dad and he had always ran conventional. I continued with 3k mile intervals until around 140k. I switched over to mobil 1 and thats when I got the lifter tick:(

I went back to the high mileage castrol but my screen has clogged. I need to do this to mine but I don't have the motivation. Maybe one day....

PSA-If this doesn't convince you that synthetic oil works, nothing will. My buddies SSS has 150k and its equally as clean under the valve cover.

It moved along pretty good until now. I've been having to work later than expected every day. I'm very happy with what I've found inside. The last one I tore down, almost a year ago, was my brother's that had been getting coolant in the oil (Castech head failure). Mine is laboratory sanitary compared to that one! I haven't found a single speck of crud, only amber residue that can be wiped off.

Damned right on synthetic oil! I've had it since 146K and I don't know what was ran before it, but I've adhered to 5,000 mile changes with full synthetic.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motor doesn't look to bad for 200k! What are you replacing it with? 6.2?

Not replacing it yet! I wanted to, but decided to do the bare minimum to the 5.3 to keep it reliable until I'm ready for a 6.0 or 6.2 swap.

Of course, the "bare minimum" rarely ever happens with endeavors such as this. :secret:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia