Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't win, but I inspired another to do better in their offerings. And a few jumped on board that train. And I won in the end. I guess. Yup, that's the world I am choosing to live in. I WON. I guess...

False. You're a winner, too. When Momo is gone, we ALL win. You did, in fact, help to facilitate this. Thank you and congratulations.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used it as a "lathe" to turn the de-clads while I ground down some gruddiness on the lips and improved some curb rash. Idling in gear wasn't fast enough to keep the LSD from locking and unlocking so frequently, so I unplugged the speed sensor and set some bricks on the pedal.

This roughness/pitting/whatever is something left behind from the manufacturing. The PO of the wheels had a few light curb rashes I wanted to minimize as well:

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

With the wheel spinning, I used a fresh flap disc on the grinder to smooth out the pitting and rash:

IMG_2553.JPG

Then I wrapped 100-grit sandpaper around a folded piece of corrugated plastic yard sign to have a semi-firm sanding block that would provide a sharp edge as well as give enough to conform to the inside and outside corners of the lip:

IMG_E2546.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Results:

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

I could've sanded it a little more and even polished it. But, I was focusing on the pitting and rash since I was pressed for time and still had the other three to do. I may work on 'em a little more before I paint 'em.

I sprayed the center cap I shaved and smoothed last weekend with some silver paint I had on the shelf and set it in place to get a better visual. It doesn't snap in place so I took it out before going for a test drive.
IMG_2557.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

I'm gonna sand the lug nuts to give 'em a brushed look to better match the wheels.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used it as a "lathe" to turn the de-clads while I ground down some gruddiness on the lips and a improved some curb rash. Idling in gear wasn't fast enough to keep the LSD from locking and unlocking so frequently, so I unplugged the speed sensor and set some bricks on the pedal.

This roughness/pitting/whatever is something left behind from the manufacturing. The PO of the wheels had a few light curb rashes I wanted to minimize as well:

View attachment 218725

View attachment 218726

With the wheel spinning, I used a fresh flap disc on the grinder to smooth out the pitting and rash:

View attachment 218728

Then I wrapped 100-grit sandpaper around a folded piece of corrugated plastic yard sign to have a semi-firm sanding block that would provide a sharp edge as well as give enough to conform to the inside and outside corners of the lip:

View attachment 218729

View attachment 218727

***** awesome man! :):cheers:

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went for a test drive to see how they felt and to fill up the tank. I snapped these as the $75 of 93 octane poured in.:( The lack of center caps really roughs up the appearance. I'm hoping to have the caps in by this weekend and I hope I can figure out an easy way to make them snap in place. A sizeable drop and de-chroming the body (all planned and coming) would make this style of wheel look more befitting cuz it's currently like wearing running shoes with a tuxedo. But, here's how it sits for now:

IMG_2565.JPG IMG_2566.JPG IMG_2567.JPG

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went for a test drive to see how they felt and to fill up the tank. I snapped these as the $75 of 93 octane poured in.:( The lack of center caps really roughs up the appearance. I'm hoping to have the caps in by this weekend and I hope I can figure out an easy way to make them snap in place. A sizeable drop and de-chroming the body (all planned and coming) would make this style of wheel look more befitting cuz it's currently like wearing running shoes with a tuxedo. But, here's how it sits for now:

View attachment 218735 View attachment 218736 View attachment 218737
Looking good :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts