Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Results:

View attachment 218730

View attachment 218731

I could've sanded it a little more and even polished it. But, I was focusing on the pitting and rash since I was pressed for time and still had the other three to do. I may work on 'em a little more before I paint 'em.

I sprayed the center cap I shaved and smoothed last weekend with some silver paint I had on the shelf and set it in place to get a better visual. It doesn't snap in place so I took it out before going for a test drive.
View attachment 218732

View attachment 218733

I'm gonna sand the lug nuts to give 'em a brushed look to better match the wheels.
They came out amazing. Great job, especially with the rolling lathe idea!
You could always use a dab of silicone to hold the caps on. I used it on mine and they held great.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look better than I thought they would. Nice job buddy. I honestly didn't notice the caps missing until I reread the post

Thanks, man! I try to look at them and not see the hub holes, but they just demand attention. They look like racing wheels you'd see on a sport compact. I just thought of a simple step I wish I would've thought of yesterday: Use that silver paint I had for the center cap to paint the hubs while I had the wheels off. :doh2:

They came out amazing. Great job, especially with the rolling lathe idea!
You could always use a dab of silicone to hold the caps on. I used it on mine and they held great.

Thank ya! I'm lazy so I try to let anything with a motor do my motion work. You know I thought of your silicone idea at least a dozen times as I kept dropping the center cap in the hole! On that note, I just had another idea that may be a winner: Trim out the center part of the chrome cladding so it's like a hubcentric ring and epoxy it in the hub bore of the wheel so any stock center cap will snap in just like stock. I may just have to recess it a few millimeters so the cap sits flush against the wheel since the thickness of the cladding is no longer there. Now I'm kinda pissed that I threw away the one I melted during experimenting. Again- :doh2:

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look better than I thought they would. Nice job buddy. I honestly didn't notice the caps missing until I reread the post

I'll trade you for your 22s if they're the same style as the 24s in your sig pic. That's the wheel I ultimately want. :deal:

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I'll trade you for your 22s if they're the same style as the 24s in your sig pic. That's the wheel I ultimately want. :deal:
Haha my 22s are black Esky platinum reps. 1 of them has some serious brake dust stuck to it and I can't get it off. Plus, the center caps clearcoat is peeling off.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that’s work I would never attempt myself... I’d screw that up big time! Lol props to you for going at it! I like those wheels a lot! Still have never seen those wheels before!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that’s work I would never attempt myself... I’d screw that up big time! Lol props to you for going at it! I like those wheels a lot! Still have never seen those wheels before!

And I did it the way that took the LEAST amount of labor. Well, carrying them to someone to do for me is the least amount, but you know what I mean.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Great work Chris! I think the de-cladded wheels without caps on looks great! Will look even better with a meatier tire, like a KO2, something with an aggressive sidewall design.

And some bright chrome lugs too would complete the look.

I hate that these gas prices are going back up (and fast) again! Paid $61 for 24 gallons of E30 yesterday.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great work Chris! I think the de-cladded wheels without caps on looks great! Will look even better with a meatier tire, like a KO2, something with an aggressive sidewall design.

And some bright chrome lugs too would complete the look.

I hate that these gas prices are going back up (and fast) again! Paid $61 for 24 gallons of E30 yesterday.

Thank ya!

If it was a 4WD, I'd probably have them KO2s. It'd have a decent lift, too! It's a 2WD street truck, so lower it'll go and with street meats. That fill-up hurt, but I only fill up once a month or so. My brother will be taking it for a week while I fix his truck, so he'll bear the brunt of the gas prices. I'm sure my Tahoe gets at least the same, if not better mileage as his truck. I'll tell him 89 is ok cuz he doesn't drive as hard as I do, not even when he's running to a call (first responder fire and medic). It's less than 150 miles from the next 5K-mile service, so I'll change the oil today and probably put the original wheels back on so I'll have the de-clads available when the center caps arrive. Gonna have to perform some wizardry to make 'em snap in place.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank ya!

If it was a 4WD, I'd probably have them KO2s. It'd have a decent lift, too! It's a 2WD street truck, so lower it'll go and with street meats. That fill-up hurt, but I only fill up once a month or so. My brother will be taking it for a week while I fix his truck, so he'll bear the brunt of the gas prices. I'm sure my Tahoe gets at least the same, if not better mileage as his truck. I'll tell him 89 is ok cuz he doesn't drive as hard as I do, not even when he's running to a call (first responder fire and medic). It's less than 150 miles from the next 5K-mile service, so I'll change the oil today and probably put the original wheels back on so I'll have the de-clads available when the center caps arrive. Gonna have to perform some wizardry to make 'em snap in place.

Consider this, my farming buddies, most of them had 4WD trucks but one of the shop foremen had a 2WD F150 with an inline 6 and a manual. This one also had AT tires and because of the tires and the fact that she wasn't nose heavy, she could go just about anywhere those 4WD V8s went and often further as they got stuck easily.

That KO2 is also fantastic in the rain and frankly has negated the need for 4WD for 99.9% of reasons to need it. But I also get the lowered look with street tread. I'd like to put my wife into a Tahoe or Yukon, an XFE, as she now cares about getting good gas mileage. She went from getting 15 mpg in the Pontiac to 18 mpg now in the city. Not bad for a lead foot who always gives my truck back empty and the mileage near single digits!

Last edited: