Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old news but wanted to add it to this thread.

Took the Steel Hippo to Terramar Beach (Galveston Island, TX) last Thursday. Stopped in La Porte along the way to visit the grandparents. Spent two days on the beach:

IMG_6273.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

Came home Sunday, via La Porte to visit more with the grands.

Wednesday, I took my daughter to New Orleans. For her birthday she wanted to see the Pixies and Franz Ferdinand concert. Nothing Tahoe related other than my safe parking spot. I was backed up to that wall with about an inch to spare:

IMG_6371.JPG

Almost 1,000 miles in a week. No issues.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you visit Seawolf Park?

Didn't know anything about it! Just looked it up. My mom took the kids to ride the ferry and look for dolphins- they were right by there. Now I'm kinda disappointed that neither she or my stepdad ever mentioned it. I guess I'll have to make my own trip next time!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know anything about it! Just looked it up. My mom took the kids to ride the ferry and look for dolphins- they were right by there. Now I'm kinda disappointed that neither she or my stepdad ever mentioned it. I guess I'll have to make my own trip next time!
They may have never heard of it. The submarine Cavalla sank a Japanese aircraft carrier during WW2. I always try and visit a museum ship when we're traveling. Your USS Kidd is still on my bucket list. My great uncle was on the USS Hale in WW2 and she and the Kidd served in the same division and fought across the Pacific together.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may have never heard of it. The submarine Cavalla sank a Japanese aircraft carrier during WW2. I always try and visit a museum ship when we're traveling. Your USS Kidd is still on my bucket list. My great uncle was on the USS Hale in WW2 and she and the Kidd served in the same division and fought across the Pacific together.

Having family history in it makes it that much more meaningful. I visited during a third grade field trip. At that age, you don't really comprehend or appreciate it beyond "the big, cool guns". Holla when you're stopping in!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to do something.

Unloaded my ladder and the five ceiling fans I took down from Brian's house last weekend. Popped the hood to see if I could confirm my suspicions as to the cause of a minor exhaust leak. Yup- the same as last time. I couldn't tell if it was just one bolt or two again:

IMG_6880.JPG

Scanning everything else, I took note of the janky looking piece of mesh sleeve on the coolant hose:

IMG_6877.JPG

So I removed it and wrapped it fully in mesh sleeving. Used adhesive-lined heat shrink on the ends:

IMG_6878.JPG

Done:

IMG_6879.JPG

Of course, now, I'm seeing all the others I could wrap- heater hoses, steam vent hose, PCV inlet, PCV outlet (catch can circuit), brake booster hose...

I really don't feel like opening up the coolant system just for this so I'll just stick to the vacuum hoses. This was an easy 30-minute project to make me feel like I've accomplished something.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to do something.

Unloaded my ladder and the five ceiling fans I took down from Brian's house last weekend. Popped the hood to see if I could confirm my suspicions as to the cause of a minor exhaust leak. Yup- the same as last time. I couldn't tell if it was just one bolt or two again:

View attachment 404597

Scanning everything else, I took note of the janky looking piece of mesh sleeve on the coolant hose:

View attachment 404598

So I removed it and wrapped it fully in mesh sleeving. Used adhesive-lined heat shrink on the ends:

View attachment 404599

Done:

View attachment 404600

Of course, now, I'm seeing all the others I could wrap- heater hoses, steam vent hose, PCV inlet, PCV outlet (catch can circuit), brake booster hose...

I really don't feel like opening up the coolant system just for this so I'll just stick to the vacuum hoses. This was an easy 30-minute project to make me feel like I've accomplished something.

You got a better picture of that cable lug setup you have there?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL Deja vu...

Posted this on August 14, 2021:

1690247218854.png

And this yesterday:

1690247781362.png

I always try to keep my "before" and "after" pics as comparable as possible (as I did in the above hose sleeve pics). But, two years apart? :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia