Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the mounting holes are 5.5in center to center?

I'm pretty sure they are just want to double check

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is where i was hoping this install was going :(

View attachment 399606

You already know I thought about it. My original alt was still working just fine and there's plenty of room on that side of the engine. I have plate steel, pulleys and hardware. But, no need, time or care for multiple alts. If I add extra pulleys to the front drive, they're gonna be spinning helical rotors inside the intake manifold.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I half-assed threw the caliper on 'em at one point but didn't record the measurement since, fortunately, it's the same as what's been used for 25+ years. 5.5" sounds about right.

ha.. that's funny. until you said 25 years I had forgotten I had an old one off my 96 on a shelf incase I wanted to rebuild it to a higher spec and they had the same 5.5in but the diesel one turned out to be perfect so I never did.

grabbed it and the spacer to test fit on the larger 6in spread corvette mounts and it fits. just ordered the one off summit for 140$. we shall see what I get.

thanks.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha.. that's funny. until you said 25 years I had forgotten I had an old one off my 96 on a shelf incase I wanted to rebuild it to a higher spec and they had the same 5.5in but the diesel one turned out to be perfect so I never did.

grabbed it and the spacer to test fit on the larger 6in spread corvette mounts and it fits. just ordered the one off summit for 140$. we shall see what I get.

thanks.

I knew it was that same pattern cuz the DR44 was a bolt-on upgrade for my '02 S10 (Vortec V6). Those have had the same mount design since at least 1996. Actually, I'm working on seeing if I can make the DR44 work on my buddy's '95 Silverado. Bolting up isn't the question, it's the wiring. That '96 alt might have the 56mm pulley, if you're interested in swapping them.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see what I need for a pulley size. I've got a few laying around too. looks like I'll need a longer belt with my setup but no big deal.

I'm going to try and pulley it where it's happy but not to much extra since it does see a lot of high rpm. I've got an under drive crank pulley on it now and have over driven the alt to get it back up to just a bit faster than stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts