Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fought the ones on my bro's truck for a hot minute. This time around, my fat ass was already seated so I used what was within arm's reach, which was the bottom drawer of my road trip tool box, full of wrenches. I tried a couple different methods but had it down on the third or fourth.

There's probably a vid of an even easier trick to it on YouTube, but I've already got mine done and I'm too lazy to look it up.
Out of all of the things I've moronically screwed up, these were zero issues for me. IIRC, I put the rubber on the bolt and then rotated it in a circle while I pushed it through the valve cover until it was seated. I know that I replaced them twice on one valve cover because I forgot to order them and my brother only had red ones in stock. I put the red ones on until my order of black ones came in.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of all of the things I've moronically screwed up, these were zero issues for me. IIRC, I put the rubber on the bolt and then rotated it in a circle while I pushed it through the valve cover until it was seated. I know that I replaced them twice on one valve cover because I forgot to order them and my brother only had red ones in stock. I put the red ones on until my order of black ones came in.

I ripped 4 of them and I had assembly lube on the last 3. Must have gotten a bad batch or something.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I tore one trying to figure it out my self.

I used a little light grease i have on hand to help it slide onto the bolt and into the valve cover.

Sold as "slide glide".

Purchased primarily for my desert eagle to help keep the chrome plating nice on the friction surfaces.

I find it's an excellent thing to have around the garage.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! An update!

I always thought my Tahoe's A/C wasn't as good as it once was and seemed to be getting worse every year. It seemed to get "okay" after driving for about 10-20 minutes. I thought it was just cuz it sat so much that it took a while to cool. Now that our temps are back in the 90s, I realized it's not performing anywhere near what it should. I tried to borrow a set of real gauges, but the guy couldn't get 'em to me today. So, my neighbor lent me a hose with gauge that goes to one of those DIY kits. Better than nothing, eh?

The gauge read 25ish when, in 85° ambient temps, it should've been at least 45. I gave it a full 12 ounce can of R-134A (NO leak sealer!) and the vent temps immediately improved but still weren't quite "there". The gauge showed 40. I ran into town to grab another can and put in about half of it to get the gauge at 45. Doubting the accuracy of the gauge and not wanting to overfill it, I stopped there.

I wanted to run it on max the whole way home, and gave myself a mild headache from freezing my forehead. Once home, I stuck the Temprobe in it. Issa güd, naw:

img_0220-jpg.jpg

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
If you haven't yet, use the tech 2 to perform the blend door calibration.

That said, me doing a proactive ac compressor replacement did help my ac a little.

My ac worked fine, and it might have been an oil replacement + fresh 134a.

If i were to do it again, i would also do my ac condenser.

Mine was pretty plugged, i did even more cleanup this time around.
With my trans oil cooler removed, i found even more was plugged.

I used a fine dental pick to poke out each blocked hole, and followed up with compressed air.

Part of why i say to replace it if you're willing to go that far is the amount of time it took, and it still looks loke the surface of the moon... lol

Come to think of it, that's probably the major reason for the improvement the first time i had the radiator out... lol
Cleaning and straightening of the fins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645