Got PO300 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving home on the highway and horsepower started going downhill. Had to pull over, it will idle fine no problem the moment I try to give it gas it starts to stall. I previously had the o2 sensor error code but haven't changed them yet. I had it towed home last night and I'm going to try and start it up again today to see how it acts.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So many things that it could be. So, you had/have oxygen sensor codes but did not address that and now, like @Tonyrodz said, you may have catalytic converter problems along with it. Did you feel a loss of power or a misfire or both? You said you had P0300 code.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
205000 miles or so. It starts up fine and revs fine this morning, I did some research and yeah one thing was catalytic converters clogged.
Haven't noticed gas mileage problems. To the other question about loss of power, yes that what was started it. I had horsepower loss which led me to pull over. I got the PO300 code when I started reving the engine where it would start to stall out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new CAI filter and catalytic converters. The filter is pretty old so why not and after 200k I am sure the converters are due. Will also install all new o2 sensors

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just measure your O2 Sensor. Its easy.

There are normally two white cables, between them you need to measure the resistance. It should be 5-7 Ohm.
And there should be a grey and a black wire. This are the sensor wires. If your engine is running and warm, you should measure between these lines 1-1.5 Volt.

I'm not sure if your car already has 2 o2 Sensor before cat and behind cat. If, than this two oxygen Sensors check the system. Then you should have in your error code a cat error, if your cat is clocked or not working good, but not an O2 sensor error.

It is very likely that you o2 sensor is the problem, but as I wrote, it's very easy to measure.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just measure your O2 Sensor. Its easy.

There are normally two white cables, between them you need to measure the resistance. It should be five 6-7 KOhm.
And there should be a grey and a black wire. Tis are the sensor wires. If your engine is running and warm, you should measure between these lines 1-1.5 Volt.

I'm not sure if your car already has 2 o2 Sensor before cat and behind cat. If, than this two oxygen Sensors check the system. Then you should have in your error code a cat error, if your cut is clocked or not working good, not an O2 sensor error.

It is very likely that you o2 sensor is the problem, but as I wrote, it's very easy to measure.
Wouldn't he get an o2 sensor code?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't he get an o2 sensor code?
I don't know how GM that made that on the gmt800but I know from several German car brands, when they have to o2 Sensors, one before the cat and the other behind, the reason is, to measure the difference between this two sensors, to detect, if the cat element is working. So if there is a specific difference between these sensors, you receive no error.

If both o2 Sensors are working and the difference is equal, means the cat element don't change the exhaust gas at all, than you receive a explicit "cat error". That should as well be when the cat clogged and combustion is not that good because of the left exhaust Gas... That should also make and explizit "cat error" or no error.

But if one o2 sensor is electrically defekt, like the heating line has a shortcut, than you receive an explizit o2 sensor error.

I recall that I said, that I don't know how GM that made, but when they have two oxygen sensors, than they do that for the same reason and should handel it in the same way.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how GM that made that on the gmt800but I know from several German car brands, when they have to o2 Sensors, one before the cat and the other behind, the reason is, to measure the difference between this two sensors, to detect, if the cat element is working. So if there is a specific difference between these sensors, you receive no error.

If both o2 Sensors are working and the difference is equal, means the cat element don't change the exhaust gas at all, than you receive a explicit "cat error". That should as well be when the cat clogged and combustion is not that good because of the left exhaust Gas... That should also make and explizit "cat error" or no error.

But if one o2 sensor is electrically defekt, like the heating line has a shortcut, than you receive an explizit o2 sensor error.

I recall that I said, that I don't know how GM that made, but when they have two oxygen sensors, than they do that for the same reason and should handel it in the same way.
They do have 4 O2 sensors. 2 post and 2 Pre cat. There are multiple codes with different P numbers for 02 related problems and problems that cause sensor to hi/low limits of rich and lean. Ill concentrate on the codes that relate directly to 02 sensor defects. no sensor output or heating element open on sensor and/or no voltage to heater element. 02 sensor has to be real hot to give valid readings and that is what its internal heating element is for. If the cat(s) were bad I would expect to see a code for a bad cat and that code is generated by using the values of the pre and post cat oxygen sensor readings. There will be a substantial difference in readings between the 2 with a bad cat this in between them. Ive got 2 K chassis (Denali and Tahoe) very close to 300k miles and original cats. Sounds like OP jumped the gun buying cats and that was an expensive mistake.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got 2 K chassis (Denali and Tahoe) very close to 300k miles and original cats. Sounds like OP jumped the gun buying cats and that was an expensive mistake.
My english is not so good, but as I understand, you think that i'm right.

We in Germany would say:
"Er schoss mit Kanonen auf Spatzen"
What means free translated:
"He shot sparrows with cannons"
:oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia