Good Old Random Cylinder Misfire Mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so. I ended up taking the cam position sensor out of my 2500HD cause Delphi was at AutoZone 45 minutes away. Ordered it but didn't want to wait. No more Cam Position Sensor voltage code. Had the p0300 so I did the crank relearn. It SEEMS my mpg has improved significantly though my LTFT still hang around 10-14% when I press the gas or at cruise. My understanding is that these are long term learned values based on the performance of the engine.

Would it be worth it to reset LTFT in EFI live?
I also wanted to add that it's absolutely fascinating that a cam position sensor that was in a motor that had 268,000 miles on it, and the sensor itself being quite dirty, still works better than brand new O'Reilly's special

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to add that it's absolutely fascinating that a cam position sensor that was in a motor that had 268,000 miles on it, and the sensor itself being quite dirty, still works better than brand new O'Reilly's special

Can't leave any stone unturned. Many times people have gone in circles and ignored the culprit because of a new part.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And I'd give it some running time to get any excess fuel out. Might need an oil change if there's any fuel in it.

MrBishop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so. I ended up taking the cam position sensor out of my 2500HD cause Delphi was at AutoZone 45 minutes away. Ordered it but didn't want to wait. No more Cam Position Sensor voltage code. Had the p0300 so I did the crank relearn. It SEEMS my mpg has improved significantly though my LTFT still hang around 10-14% when I press the gas or at cruise. My understanding is that these are long term learned values based on the performance of the engine.

Would it be worth it to reset LTFT in EFI live?
Based on what you had going on, yes, although it will learn itself eventually. There are several cells that contain the learn fuel trims for various driving conditions. Idle, cruise, accel, decel, etc, and all those with AC on and off and with purge and no purge. Each time you enter that condition, or cell, it uses the last know value and begins to learn again but each learn takes a bit. The reset takes you back to the factory numbers with no compensation for age, fuel type, etc.

NardDog

Reaction score
theres a lot of post here so forgive me if you already mentioned this. I had a similar issue and decided since my truck was close to twenty yrs old i would replace many of the EVAP system components like Charcoal canister, purge and vent solenoids all at the same time. Seems like you’ve already replaced allot parts already .

OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is an update. I gave it a week before clearing ltft in EFI live. I was experiencing some surging on acceleration but only for a a couple minutes until truck fully warmed up. I'm seeing way improved mpg, but my ltfts jump to like 15% or higher again when I give it gas, even after fuel trim reset. It hangs out around 5% at idle. My vacuum tester I got from harbor freight, hooked up on top of intake where PCV goes, told me it was on the low side of normal operating range(still in the green). Torque is reporting 5.4-5.5psi of vacuum in the intake which I believe is in the acceptable range.

Truly the only thing I can think of is a slight pinhole leak in that stupid EGR hose, or maybe the IAC isn't functioning right. I've never been able to get torque to show me IAC steps on these GMT-800s. I removed the IAC and inspected visually. Absolutely no carbon gunk build up on the plunger or in the TB hole that would restrict it's movement.

Or compression. Or dirty intake valves, I noticed a good amount of oil in the intake. Clogged cats? Or even the EVAP system not functioning right.

Still no pending or current fault codes for lean condition or misfires or EVAP codes. Have had my scanner plugged in for weeks and it still hasn't been able to tell me if the EVAP system test ran or passed or anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, still chasing slightly high LTFT in the 15% range only when I accelerate. I put mufflers on it cause I was making the neighbors angry and I don't hear a tick like an exhaust leak.

The LTFT behavior is odd. At idle sometimes it's -.75% ltft, and sometimes both banks are between positive 4-6% at idle. When I accelerate it jumps to positive 12-15%. If I let off the gas and it settles back down to around 5%.

I have the tiniest of kinks in the fuel line right before the filter by the frame. Could that be restricting flow when the engine is under load?
I did the fuel pressure test as mentioned before but what should fuel pressure be if I rev it to 2000rpm?

Otherwise I'm still suspecting EGR is leaking somewhere. Or perhaps the o-rings on the IAC and TPS are bad. Idk.

Also wanted to add, that based on these videos I'm sharing, changing the injectors was unnecessary lol.

These two videos really helped me understand fuel trims, in case anyone else finds this thread in the future.

part 1
part 2

Last edited:

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it warmed up at idle with a scanner/app that shows O2 sensors live going up and down……get a propane torch and NOT LIT spray propane around the injector orings and see if the O2 hangs high. My vette stumped my for years with issues till I did this and all injector orings were hard as glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas