GM just does not care anymore. Leaving after 40 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KokomoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have ordered and bought more than 20 new GM vehicles over the years. I worked for GM for 27 years. I currently have 2 Corvettes and a 2022 Tahoe. I was an early adopter of the Bolt EV, buying the first one sold in the area.

The Tahoe I ordered, came in with missing options. I was not told about it at the time, nor given the option to get a refund for the options I paid for but did not receive. After a year and half, I get a letter stating that they now have the parts to "retrofit" my Tahoe and give me the heated steering wheel option that I paid for. I called the dealership I bought the Tahoe from, Erik's in Kokomo, and told them about the letter. They said they would order the parts and have them the following Monday. They set me up with an appointment after that. I went in for my appointment, and they looked at me like a deer staring into a headlight. No parts. No service. No apology. No, they will not pay for my gas or time off, or trouble of bringing the vehicle in to install options that should have been there 18 months before.

I have had a reservation in for the new Silverado EV for over a year. I just cancelled that. The disrespect has got to stop. I am voting with my feet.
Bye Bye, GM.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No apology. No, they will not pay for my gas or time off, or trouble of bringing the vehicle in to install options that should have been there 18 months before.
Is this a GM issue or a dealer issue.

Agree that missing options to be retrofitted is a GM issue (but really a supply chain issue caused by the pandemic)....
The inept performance of the dealer is not a GM problem...thats purely on the service department at the dealer.

That said, your money, your call...nobody could blame you for trying a different brand...not clear its better anywhere else.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off you are right to be upset and frustrated with GM in how they have been handling the retrofitting of their vehicles, that said, the issue you are having is the dealership and not really GM's. These days getting a quality dealership is extremely difficult, I have dealt with Ford, GM and FCA and they all seem to have less than ideal dealership experiences.

I currently have Ram 1500 and I absolutely love the truck, but wow has the dealership been a PITA....

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ordered and bought more than 20 new GM vehicles over the years. I worked for GM for 27 years. I currently have 2 Corvettes and a 2022 Tahoe. I was an early adopter of the Bolt EV, buying the first one sold in the area.

The Tahoe I ordered, came in with missing options. I was not told about it at the time, nor given the option to get a refund for the options I paid for but did not receive. After a year and half, I get a letter stating that they now have the parts to "retrofit" my Tahoe and give me the heated steering wheel option that I paid for. I called the dealership I bought the Tahoe from, Erik's in Kokomo, and told them about the letter. They said they would order the parts and have them the following Monday. They set me up with an appointment after that. I went in for my appointment, and they looked at me like a deer staring into a headlight. No parts. No service. No apology. No, they will not pay for my gas or time off, or trouble of bringing the vehicle in to install options that should have been there 18 months before.

I have had a reservation in for the new Silverado EV for over a year. I just cancelled that. The disrespect has got to stop. I am voting with my feet.
Bye Bye, GM.
The big problem here to me is whenever dealership orders parts for a repair that is due on any of my vehicles, they don't make appointment for install until parts hit the door. This is a service writers' failure.

Gearz

Reaction score
Look I worked at dealerships for over 30 years and if you can't get anywhere with the service department and you spoke to the service manager and still got no satisfaction then go straight to the owner of the company and explain your case calmly and tell him how disappointed you are with the the way this is being handled. The owner doesn't want to be bothered with these type of problems but I guaranty if he wants to stay in business he will solve your issues because without you he's out of business! Gm is producing vehicles every day so there shouldn't be any shortages by now. You can call GM but they will either call the dealership or suggest you try another dealer so they are useless. I have been down this road before many times. One last this you can also ask to speak with the dealer representative AKA (District Manager). You just have to push the right buttons and get your point across because if you freak out they won't help!

Randy2876

Reaction score

Bye Bye, GM.
In my opinion, a dealer issue is a GM issue. The dealer is the only face of GM that most people ever see. A lot of customers don't have the luxury of just going to another dealer. For many of us, there is only one dealership in our area, so we can't just choose another dealership to take our business to.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In my opinion, a dealer issue is a GM issue. The dealer is the only face of GM that most people ever see. A lot of customers don't have the luxury of just going to another dealer. For many of us, there is only one dealership in our area, so we can't just choose another dealership to take our business to.
He was being given options. He is gonna do what he wants to. Some dealers are harder to deal with than others. I hate dealing with "stealerships". I have had good results from a dealer or two but the vast majority just don't seem to care. I would have moved heaven and earth to contact a GM rep and not the dealer. The dealer has to answer to someone. You let a GM rep that you will spread the problems, and positives, to over 87k members of this forum and so on and so on and you should get some results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar