After Market Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2007 Tahoe, I love it and have been driving it with minimal problems for 5 years, Want to replace the Headlights with a fresh look, any recommendations on after market headlights that look cool and work fairly well.
Back to the OP, which seems to have went array without much feedback.

You definitely have several options at a variety of costs and work. New OEM headlights will be pretty expensive, but I also have been successful with cheap Amazon knockoffs. That in itself is a super easy upgrade to old, faded stockers. The biggest limitation with OEM or OEM style headlights are the absolute lack of a full adjustment. There is one adjustment, and it is more of a gyration than an aim. Pretty terrible.

Here are a list of my suggestions:
1. Buy OEM or aftermarket knockoffs, put better bulbs in

2. Buy OEM or aftermarket knockoffs, put LEDs in. This is typically 100% against the grain for my opinion, as almost all reflector style headlights are not intended for LED use. In fact, most of these setups are blinding to oncoming traffic. However, I ran LEDs in my knockoff Amazon headlights for a couple of years and only was only flashed by an oncoming car maybe 1 time. Much better light than a stock-style bulb.

3. Buy OEM or aftermarket knockoffs, retrofit them with projectors like I did. A lot of work, some I would describe as precision. I documented my own install pretty well, my thread is below. It involves splitting the lens from the light chassis (baking it), and modifying the reflector base inside. Also some cutting on the bulkhead to allow enough room for all of the hardware. I went HID, but there are LED projectors you could go with as well.

4. You can buy OEM style headlights retrofitted, so they are almost plug/play. You are going to pay the same price you would on my adventure, plus labor for someone else to do that work. It'll add up, but save you time.

5. I think the only decent aftermarket light for us is AlphaRex. There are several options, one other forum member has a nice writeup on his own purchase/install. I also had some AlphaRex units, the lower end. They did ok, but just didn't give me what I was looking for. But from the looks of it, if you spend the money on the best light they offer, they do perform really well. Check out @intheburbs thread below for his choice, and great feedback.

Hope that helps.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to go Richard....... also to the OP... do option 3. I did it, then Richard took the idea and did a much better write up :rofl:

I have actually been thinking of completely redoing mine...going with a different light and LED projectors.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to go Richard....... also to the OP... do option 3. I did it, then Richard took the idea and did a much better write up :rofl:

I have actually been thinking of completely redoing mine...going with a different light and LED projectors.
Thanks to you though! I picked up several ideas from you, and you helped with some feedback/lessons leared too. Best part about forums!

I've also been thinking of doing the same, I am not going to lie. Regards to the LED projectors.....

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the OP, which seems to have went array without much feedback.

You definitely have several options at a variety of costs and work. New OEM headlights will be pretty expensive, but I also have been successful with cheap Amazon knockoffs. That in itself is a super easy upgrade to old, faded stockers. The biggest limitation with OEM or OEM style headlights are the absolute lack of a full adjustment. There is one adjustment, and it is more of a gyration than an aim. Pretty terrible.

Here are a list of my suggestions:
1. Buy OEM or aftermarket knockoffs, put better bulbs in

2. Buy OEM or aftermarket knockoffs, put LEDs in. This is typically 100% against the grain for my opinion, as almost all reflector style headlights are not intended for LED use. In fact, most of these setups are blinding to oncoming traffic. However, I ran LEDs in my knockoff Amazon headlights for a couple of years and only was only flashed by an oncoming car maybe 1 time. Much better light than a stock-style bulb.

3. Buy OEM or aftermarket knockoffs, retrofit them with projectors like I did. A lot of work, some I would describe as precision. I documented my own install pretty well, my thread is below. It involves splitting the lens from the light chassis (baking it), and modifying the reflector base inside. Also some cutting on the bulkhead to allow enough room for all of the hardware. I went HID, but there are LED projectors you could go with as well.

4. You can buy OEM style headlights retrofitted, so they are almost plug/play. You are going to pay the same price you would on my adventure, plus labor for someone else to do that work. It'll add up, but save you time.

5. I think the only decent aftermarket light for us is AlphaRex. There are several options, one other forum member has a nice writeup on his own purchase/install. I also had some AlphaRex units, the lower end. They did ok, but just didn't give me what I was looking for. But from the looks of it, if you spend the money on the best light they offer, they do perform really well. Check out @intheburbs thread below for his choice, and great feedback.

Hope that helps.
FYI - I tacked it onto my original thread quoted above, but here's a place selling the Alpharex for $877. That's substantially less than I paid.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the OEM lights unless you aren’t keeping the truck. The aftermarket ones are garbage. They last a year at most and then the lenses start fading again. I bought the supposedly good Eagle Eyes brand to do a HID retrofit on my old Yukon so I didn’t risk breaking new OEM ones, and they started peeling on the top at about 10 months. Use plenty of aftermarket ones in the past and on other family member’s cars who didn’t want to spend the money with the same results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019