GM just does not care anymore. Leaving after 40 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM is making it easier and easier for me to stomach owning a German car again. I think I'm starting to look forward to it. At least it'll be worth all the BS and repairs for the driving experience. GM has highly pissed me off with all the discontinued parts, I can understand trim pieces and such since most people don't replace them like I do, but they're discontinuing parts to actually keep the truck on the road.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your not the only one that has almost given up on a GM. I have one local dealer that I still trust.. And only one. TransWest Buick GMC in Henderson CO.

I took my Pontiac Aztek in for a recall, that was out of the recall zone. They refused to cover it. The dealer, of their own volition, moved heaven and earth to get "some" coverage.

It was a 1800 dollar replacement fuel tank. My bill for the tank was 500. But the dealer did more, A LOT more. My out the door bill before discounts either thru GM or the dealer, was 7000. My bill after discounts, 1100 and that included the tank. I had motor mounts replaced, rack and pinion, rear tie rods, air suspension, struts, and a long list of other stuff.

If I have a service thing I cant do, it goes to that dealer.

The sales floor at the same dealer.. thats another story entirely!

Gregory M Bone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my opinion, a dealer issue is a GM issue. The dealer is the only face of GM that most people ever see. A lot of customers don't have the luxury of just going to another dealer. For many of us, there is only one dealership in our area, so we can't just choose another dealership to take our business to.

I agree totally.

Customer satisfaction should be job one, but it's number 2.:poop:

If GM does not care, why should their dealers.

I own 2 GM vehicles, but they will the last GM vehilcles I buy.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ordered and bought more than 20 new GM vehicles over the years. I worked for GM for 27 years. I currently have 2 Corvettes and a 2022 Tahoe. I was an early adopter of the Bolt EV, buying the first one sold in the area.

The Tahoe I ordered, came in with missing options. I was not told about it at the time, nor given the option to get a refund for the options I paid for but did not receive. After a year and half, I get a letter stating that they now have the parts to "retrofit" my Tahoe and give me the heated steering wheel option that I paid for. I called the dealership I bought the Tahoe from, Erik's in Kokomo, and told them about the letter. They said they would order the parts and have them the following Monday. They set me up with an appointment after that. I went in for my appointment, and they looked at me like a deer staring into a headlight. No parts. No service. No apology. No, they will not pay for my gas or time off, or trouble of bringing the vehicle in to install options that should have been there 18 months before.

I have had a reservation in for the new Silverado EV for over a year. I just cancelled that. The disrespect has got to stop. I am voting with my feet.
Bye Bye, GM.
Considering that governments are now controlling when you can, and cannot use your home electric car charger, canceling your electric vehicle order was probably a wise thing to do. Regarding missing items on your vehicle. I'm so happy that my Tahoe does NOT have the parking assist. I used a friends Tahoe the other day and the constant beeping drove me bananas. My Tahoe has a Birds-eye view. I don't need the annoying beeping to tell me how close I am to something. I'm delighted NOT to have the parking assist in my vehicle. General Motors is also dropping Apple CarPlay. You couldn't GIVE me a vehicle without Apple CarPlay.

tigerboy81983

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have ordered and bought more than 20 new GM vehicles over the years. I worked for GM for 27 years. I currently have 2 Corvettes and a 2022 Tahoe. I was an early adopter of the Bolt EV, buying the first one sold in the area.

The Tahoe I ordered, came in with missing options. I was not told about it at the time, nor given the option to get a refund for the options I paid for but did not receive. After a year and half, I get a letter stating that they now have the parts to "retrofit" my Tahoe and give me the heated steering wheel option that I paid for. I called the dealership I bought the Tahoe from, Erik's in Kokomo, and told them about the letter. They said they would order the parts and have them the following Monday. They set me up with an appointment after that. I went in for my appointment, and they looked at me like a deer staring into a headlight. No parts. No service. No apology. No, they will not pay for my gas or time off, or trouble of bringing the vehicle in to install options that should have been there 18 months before.

I have had a reservation in for the new Silverado EV for over a year. I just cancelled that. The disrespect has got to stop. I am voting with my feet.
Bye Bye, GM.

Sounds like your local dealer is about as competent as mine. That said, I don't blame GM for the way the dealership is mismanaged. My local dealer has several franchises for different OEMs and all of them are super slack when it comes to the service department. Can't blame Ford and Nissan for those other dealership problems either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019