GM 6L80 Transmission Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again, I don’t understand all this for not being sure I wanted to delete the wave plates. That’s it. That’s literally the only thing I wasn’t sure I wanted to get into. And I didn’t say hell no I’m not doing that, I just said I’m not sure I want to. And then I asked if the Z Paks deleted the wave plates like he was suggesting as that all comes together and I wouldn’t need to source an extra fiber and steel for each one. So I don’t see how I’m hell bent on going with what he suggested not doing? I’m literally doing everything else he suggested plus replacing the pump and valve body. I genuinely don’t understand what the problem is here.

If not deleting the wave plates is so bad, maybe he could explain why instead of my way or the highway, get out of my thread, your transmission won’t last, good luck.

Last edited:

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
& i think ill take "my POS gen 1 held together with TSBs & lucas trans fix" for the $500 i just dropped at sonnax, ALEX!
A reminder to players, please phrase your answers in the form of a question.

This one goes to you Lex for five-hundred:

“All stock 6L80’s should have had this Sonnax kit installed for free by General Motors after turning over 50k on the odometer”

BlackBrud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi @NickTransmissions - great info on this thread - thanks for starting it!

I just bought a 2019 Suburban with a 6L80, and I’m gathering info to do my first diy transmission service on it.

I have a question regarding the 6L80:
Where is the transmission cooler located? I figured it would be in the radiator, but I thought I had read somewhere that it was in the ac condenser?

Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi @NickTransmissions - great info on this thread - thanks for starting it!

I just bought a 2019 Suburban with a 6L80, and I’m gathering info to do my first diy transmission service on it.

I have a question regarding the 6L80:
Where is the transmission cooler located? I figured it would be in the radiator, but I thought I had read somewhere that it was in the ac condenser?

Thanks
There are two: the first in the circuit is a water to oil cooler in the pax side end tank in the radiator. On a 2019, I believe the second in the circuit is Siamesed to the ac condenser in front of the radiator.

BlackBrud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two: the first in the circuit is a water to oil cooler in the pax side end tank in the radiator. On a 2019, I believe the second in the circuit is Siamesed to the ac condenser in front of the radiator.
Thanks! Good to know that it has two coolers - I would have assumed it just had one.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Good to know that it has two coolers - I would have assumed it just had one.
You would think it only did have one with the size coolers that GM put in these big SUV’s. At least the one in my 2020 is bigger than my 2011 and 2002.

Your ‘19 burb has the 6L80? Was it 2020 that they changed? Or is that just the difference in the Denali and the 6.2l?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think it only did have one with the size coolers that GM put in these big SUV’s. At least the one in my 2020 is bigger than my 2011 and 2002.

Your ‘19 burb has the 6L80? Was it 2020 that they changed? Or is that just the difference in the Denali and the 6.2l?
The 6.2 rigs got the 10-speed starting in 2018.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019