Getting message?:"Tighten Gas Cap" or are you Unable to fill your tank? ! Look here !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
I had this issue for a little while and I decided to consolidate all the info into 1 Post and a picture of what you need to replace it. If you have any questions just ask in this thread:

What you need:
AC DELCO 214-2149 [CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE]
-Brand new AC DELCO component with correct connector
-Replaces dealer part numbers: 25932571, 214-2149
-Picture:
UW23w.jpg

Quick synopsis:

-It started off as 'Tighten Gas Cap" on the DIC, As the solenoid valve was stuck open and would vent the tank so the computer thought the gas cap was loose. I got the solenoid unstuck but later it failed in the close position and would not vent when filling the tank. I too tried everything including turning the nozzle completely upside down but the nozzle would just click off. The day after I replaced it I was able to fill the tank as fast as the pump would go and the engine light went out a day or so later, Have not had the problem ever since.

****UPDATE****
-Problem seems to be solved, I replaced the evap solenoid the day before yesterday and now I can fill the tank as fast as the pump will go. It only cost me $28, The engine light has not shut off yet but that should resolve itself in a few days after I drive it around a bit.

-It connects to the charcoal canister under the rear by the gas tank, A lot of people refer to it as the evap valve or solenoid.
-You have to crawl under but its just above and infront of the rear axel.
-A screw driver to pry up on the tab in the middle of the bracket and the same with tabs on the hose to release it. Then slide the new part back in the bracket and bend the tab back to hold it and make the connections.
-About 15 minutes of your time and no gas leaking, Also easier to get to if you drop the spare tire.

Hope this helps everyone!

**********New updated part info*************
GM understands that this is an issue and this part has been updated with a new one that has hoses and moves the filter, but the new part costs $250-300 and is harder to install, and if you get this part it will last another 4-6 years (Which is when I don't plan on having same Tahoe)
:Handshake:
-Anthony

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great write up man. thanks for this info. I didn't know it was such a common problem

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just happened to me last week and i remembered this thread so i knew what the problem was.

I have an extended warranty so i took it to the stealership to get it replaced and they forgot that i had the warranty and handed me a bill for $162!

I then told them to look up my warranty info so they can pay for it but i was amazed at how much they tried to charge me for 15 minutes of labor and a $28 part. Damn thieves.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
This just happened to me last week and i remembered this thread so i knew what the problem was.

I have an extended warranty so i took it to the stealership to get it replaced and they forgot that i had the warranty and handed me a bill for $162!

I then told them to look up my warranty info so they can pay for it but i was amazed at how much they tried to charge me for 15 minutes of labor and a $28 part. Damn thieves.

Glad to see that my thread solved your issue ASAP!

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up. Just ordered the part from ebay.

NovaRacer

Reaction score
I had this issue for a little while and I decided to consolidate all the info into 1 Post and a picture of what you need to replace it. If you have any questions just ask in this thread:

What you need:
AC DELCO 214-2149 [CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE]
-Brand new AC DELCO component with correct connector
-Replaces dealer part numbers: 25932571, 214-2149
-Picture:
UW23w.jpg

Quick synopsis:

-It started off as 'Tighten Gas Cap" on the DIC, As the solenoid valve was stuck open and would vent the tank so the computer thought the gas cap was loose. I got the solenoid unstuck but later it failed in the close position and would not vent when filling the tank. I too tried everything including turning the nozzle completely upside down but the nozzle would just click off. The day after I replaced it I was able to fill the tank as fast as the pump would go and the engine light went out a day or so later, Have not had the problem ever since.

****UPDATE****
-Problem seems to be solved, I replaced the evap solenoid the day before yesterday and now I can fill the tank as fast as the pump will go. It only cost me $28, The engine light has not shut off yet but that should resolve itself in a few days after I drive it around a bit.

-It connects to the charcoal canister under the rear by the gas tank, A lot of people refer to it as the evap valve or solenoid.
-You have to crawl under but its just above and infront of the rear axel.
-A screw driver to pry up on the tab in the middle of the bracket and the same with tabs on the hose to release it. Then slide the new part back in the bracket and bend the tab back to hold it and make the connections.
-About 15 minutes of your time and no gas leaking, Also easier to get to if you drop the spare tire.

Hope this helps everyone!

**********New updated part info*************
GM understands that this is an issue and this part has been updated with a new one that has hoses and moves the filter, but the new part costs $250-300 and is harder to install, and if you get this part it will last another 4-6 years (Which is when I don't plan on having same Tahoe)
:Handshake:
-Anthony

This is an excellent write-up!!

I never had a "tighten fuel cap" error come up, but since buying this vehicle, I have had issues @ the fill up station with it pumping for a while and then clicking off the nozzle like it was full.

I replace this part over the weekend, and took it the gas - station afterwards, and am happy to say that it is indeed a fix!

Thanks for the write-up Anthony!

WB

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
This is an excellent write-up!!

I never had a "tighten fuel cap" error come up, but since buying this vehicle, I have had issues @ the fill up station with it pumping for a while and then clicking off the nozzle like it was full.

I replace this part over the weekend, and took it the gas - station afterwards, and am happy to say that it is indeed a fix!

Thanks for the write-up Anthony!

WB

Nice to hear!

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the solenoid valve on my '07 with 71k miles due to a P0449 and P0455 code. I found the part (AC Delco 214-1936) on Amazon for $22 plus $5 shipping.

The part I got had the vent tube attached to it and also had the steel mounting bracket. It was super easy to replace once I dropped the spare tire out of the way.

See attached photo....

IMAG0179.jpg

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found my weekend project. Anyone know if its the same part on a suburban?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep