Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used some stainless wool like this ytasame5.jpg

I'm not sure about how it will hold up or how well it will work. For the price and and ease of installation it is worth a try. I will continue to check on it the next few weeks.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't get it to picture well but just checked the can and it is working. After a week and about 200 miles there is already a small amount of oil collecting at the bottom of the can.

brainfried

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You do need a catch can!

Fellows,

I just completed an install of a Magnacharger on my 2012 Denali. I had read this thread before and was planning on doing this "in the future."

Point being, with 20K on the vehicle, when I took the OEM intake off the truck, it leaked a huge amount of oil on the shop floor which meant it was being continuously saturated due to blow-by. I am a fan of the theory that the oil is likely being caused by the cylinder de-activation.

I would hate to saturate the new FI intake with this some am getting a can on order right away.

Mike

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace those cheap looking hoses and your set. Wonder how good it works?

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace those cheap looking hoses and your set. Wonder how good it works?

Yeah the hoses have to go, but its got that visible fill line, and its the same material as the 100.00 CatchCans.Com version. The filter element is probably junk too, but for that price, I mean Cmon!

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

And before anybody gets all uppity lol, and plays that whole "well you cant compare an "ebay" catch can to the ones we bought....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Oil-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3efa76e146&vxp=mtr

BAM! Lol
Although they are the exact same as they ones on catchcans.com, they are more expensive... Odd lol. Alls Im sayin folks, is that there are options for about 1/3 of the price :)

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey shundal, check the catch can lately?

do you plan on checking behind the TB to see if oil is still getting there, hopefully at the very least at a slower pace?

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey shundal, check the catch can lately?

do you plan on checking behind the TB to see if oil is still getting there, hopefully at the very least at a slower pace?

Not recently. My tahoe has been sitting for a few weeks but ill check it this weekend and let you know.

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
I just changed my oil last Saturday and drained the catch can. My oil changes are done religiously every 5000 miles. This is my second change since installing the catch can. So far, after both changes I have had about an 1/8 cup of oil that drained from the can. This level was measured with one of the wife's measuring cups from the kitchen(Please don't tell her).

I have not had the time to check and see how much if any is making its way to the intake. but that's on my to do list. Even if some is making it to the intake its obviously less than before. That's something I can live with.

Sorry for the yellow Solo cup, but all the red ones get "used up" here. LOL

Hopes this helps.

Attachments

• catch can level.jpg
    catch can level.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

c5z06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New member here. So cheep I squeak. I didn't like payin' $100+ for anything as rudimentary as catch can. I was considering very seriously about making my own like so many others suggested from Lowe's air compressor parts, etc. Several reviews I found discuss the faults of various compressor filters--build quality being the main complaint--leaks, cracked housings after extended use, etc.

I was leaning towards the Elite Engineering can despite the price, for its' absolute quality. I have one, but didn't wanna pay that price again. . (Hindsight, experience, and a "painful" fleecing has taught me that a catch can is a catch can is a catch can...so long as it's durable, flows well, and has no build fault for leakage.)

Extensive Googling of catch can reviews brought me to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1RA0FG7280

$59 no shipping charges. It seem to garner very good reviews with no negatives that I could find. No sight glass, but it does have a dipstick. I was leery about the clear tube in most of the catch can versions I found; and I'm not a big fan of eBay "sent from Hong Kong". Even the Mishimoto has a poor Amazon review for leaks around the gauge.

$59's only 20 something (and no tax) more than a Lowe's fabrication, and all metal, it should be sturdier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyhoe24

Latest posts