Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed my catch can 12/8/13, took the oil out today...

CUc9G1e.png

I'm marking where the oil is with my thumbnail...
jpVjNHh.png

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. Either way, I don't think hat much oil is good, even if it is standard.

I've ran catch cans on both my VW and BMW. FWIW, your amount seems pretty normal compared to my other two cars.

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
I just completed my first full run on oil after installing the catch can. I went a little over 5000 miles. When I drained the catch can I got less than a 1/4 cup of oil.

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed mine this past weekend, the tapped hole on the alternator bracket on mine was M6 not M10, just an fyi.

My install was about 15 minutes, not including putting teflon tape on the fittings and tightening them down. I usually am twice as slow as mot other people as I am **** retentive about the placement of the hose clamps and they are all in the same orientation as well as zip ties :insane:

stoltz23

Reaction score
I just completed my first full run on oil after installing the catch can. I went a little over 5000 miles. When I drained the catch can I got less than a 1/4 cup of oil.

I had a very similar experience. At my first drain I got hardly anything out of the catch can and it looked more like gas than oil. I think I posted a photo here a few pages back. I was concerned until i drained it the next few times and finally started getting more out of it and the color looked more like oil. I believe that the filter in the catch cans needs to be wet and saturated before it will start working 100%. This is the only explanation that I could come up with and i'm glad to see someone else didn't get much at there first drain.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this something the older 5.7l engines would benefit from? I've seen a lot of talk about the 5.3l and 6.2l engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericbath

Latest posts