Gen 2 vs. Gen 3 frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burrism

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning. I have a 2001 Tahoe lt 4wd and am interested in swapping a gen 3 frame and drive train underneath it. I am interested in the 6l80 transmission and MP 3023 transfer case. From what I have read, the GMT800 and the GMT900 series frames are very similar. Wiring aside, are there any major differences in the two frames? I am handy with reasonable fabrication (I.e. if I have to move a body mount or two). I have been offered a 2008 ltz and given my frame is rusting, I would like to tackle this project if it is reasonable. And yes. I prefer my gen 2 body over the gen 3.

Thank you.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main difference between frames is the front section. Your 01 has torsion bars and a different steering box, while the 08 has struts with rack and pinion steering. I think you could swap frames though, but I'm not sure how that affects the front fenders and radiator support of your 01. From the front pillars going rearward, I think the mountings are the same though. Keep in mind that the 08 will still have a 4L60 transmission though. ( Unless it's the really rare 6.2 LTZ, then that would have a 6L80.)

OP
OP
B

burrism

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The main difference between frames is the front section. Your 01 has torsion bars and a different steering box, while the 08 has struts with rack and pinion steering. I think you could swap frames though, but I'm not sure how that affects the front fenders and radiator support of your 01. From the front pillars going rearward, I think the mountings are the same though. Keep in mind that the 08 will still have a 4L60 transmission though. ( Unless it's the really rare 6.2 LTZ, then that would have a 6L80.)
Thank you. The 2009 was the first year the 6l80 was standard, if I am not mistaken. Yes, the one I am looking at is an ltz

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, all 09 Tahoe's got 6L80's. The other issue with using an 01 body is the electrical architecture. The 01-02 used a completely different operating system than the 03-06. The 08 will also be different due to can bus system which I think can be integrated to work with the 03-06 class II serial data system. As far as I know, nothing plays nice with the 01-02 operating system. Everything is different, right down to the window switches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rideredin602