Gather round for a story of mechanical ineptitude and blisters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please enjoy the following story at the full expense of the skin on my thumb and pointer fingers. TLDR at bottom:

A few months ago speeds 1-4 on my AC/Heat stopped working. I didn't think too much of it at the time as speed 5 still worked and lets be honest--- if I am going to do anything I do it full sendso speed 5 is good enough amiriate? Some time passed and I again became interested in making my Tahoe less of a shitbox. A week or so ago I changed the high/low beam bulbs in my Tahoe so that basically makes me a certified master technician.

I researched what might be wrong with my AC system and settled on a blower motor resistor and watched a baller video on 1A auto's youtube channel on how to change it and figured it was a drop in the bucket compared to my vast mechanical skills (heh). At the same time I decided that I would change some of my interior bulbs over to LED bulbs. I had already changed the front map light bulbs to LED along with the license plate bulbs. All that remained as the middle and rear dome light bulbs.

Today my resistor came in the mail and I was super excited. My wife watched the boy this evening while I grabbed a knee pat and headed out to the driveway with my flathead and 7mm ratchet to change the blower motor resistor. To my horror I found that the 7mm socket was slightly too large for the bolts holding the kick plate up? 6mm was too small. I tried almost every socket I had around that size and none fit! I tried the 1/4 and so on. Like I said I am basically a mechanical genius so I knew what sizes to try (sarcasm).

Defeated and deflated I decided to change the bulbs in my dome lights for an easy win before giving up for the night as it was getting dark. Do you see where this is going?

I clamber into the back seat ready for an easy changeover and reach up and grip the middle dome light bulb with my right thumb and pointer finger and promptly burn the living tar out of them till they blister cause DUH I had the passenger door open for a long ass time trying to get the kick plate off to change my blower motor resistor.

I change the side switch activated dome light bulbs with LEDS- with all the doors closed and then am able to change the middle door activated bulb after a few minutes with no more skin-searing effects.

I changed the back dome with similar hilarity after leaving the barn doors open and reaching in while the dome light was on before climbing in the back and closing the doors so the bulb would cool off. I had no idea halogen bulbs get so DAMN HOT.

I hope you enjoyed the read and I have a serious question below.

TLDR: What do I do to get the kick plate bolts out to change my blower motor resistor on my 2004 Tahoe when 7mm is too big and 6mm is too small? Also plz send aloe cause I have blisters on both thumb and pointer fingers.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really don’t want to touch halogen bulbs with your finger period. The oil from your fingers can cause them to burn out quicker. If you do, wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol before you turn them on
Don’t feel too bad, we’ve all had those days

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using six point sockets or 12 point? Quality sockets?

the sad part is I didn’t even know this was a thing. They are only 6 point and made in CHYNA no doubt. Can this really make a difference?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had success trying various SAE sockets that are around that size. If a 12-point slips, the same size in a 6-point might grip.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Please enjoy the following story at the full expense of the skin on my thumb and pointer fingers. TLDR at bottom:

A few months ago speeds 1-4 on my AC/Heat stopped working. I didn't think too much of it at the time as speed 5 still worked and lets be honest--- if I am going to do anything I do it full sendso speed 5 is good enough amiriate? Some time passed and I again became interested in making my Tahoe less of a shitbox. A week or so ago I changed the high/low beam bulbs in my Tahoe so that basically makes me a certified master technician.

I researched what might be wrong with my AC system and settled on a blower motor resistor and watched a baller video on 1A auto's youtube channel on how to change it and figured it was a drop in the bucket compared to my vast mechanical skills (heh). At the same time I decided that I would change some of my interior bulbs over to LED bulbs. I had already changed the front map light bulbs to LED along with the license plate bulbs. All that remained as the middle and rear dome light bulbs.

Today my resistor came in the mail and I was super excited. My wife watched the boy this evening while I grabbed a knee pat and headed out to the driveway with my flathead and 7mm ratchet to change the blower motor resistor. To my horror I found that the 7mm socket was slightly too large for the bolts holding the kick plate up? 6mm was too small. I tried almost every socket I had around that size and none fit! I tried the 1/4 and so on. Like I said I am basically a mechanical genius so I knew what sizes to try (sarcasm).

Defeated and deflated I decided to change the bulbs in my dome lights for an easy win before giving up for the night as it was getting dark. Do you see where this is going?

I clamber into the back seat ready for an easy changeover and reach up and grip the middle dome light bulb with my right thumb and pointer finger and promptly burn the living tar out of them till they blister cause DUH I had the passenger door open for a long ass time trying to get the kick plate off to change my blower motor resistor.

I change the side switch activated dome light bulbs with LEDS- with all the doors closed and then am able to change the middle door activated bulb after a few minutes with no more skin-searing effects.

I changed the back dome with similar hilarity after leaving the barn doors open and reaching in while the dome light was on before climbing in the back and closing the doors so the bulb would cool off. I had no idea halogen bulbs get so DAMN HOT.

I hope you enjoyed the read and I have a serious question below.

TLDR: What do I do to get the kick plate bolts out to change my blower motor resistor on my 2004 Tahoe when 7mm is too big and 6mm is too small? Also plz send aloe cause I have blisters on both thumb and pointer fingers.

This is hilarious! The best stories are definitely the ones where we relay our own stupidity. You had me laughing out loud. I can't remember what size I used taking that kick plate down, but 6mm sounds right.

Maybe they have been removed before and that person rounded them off? It's kind of a pain, but you could just grab them with a pair of pliers. That's what a dealership tech would probably do anyways if the pliers were closer that the ratchet. Then you'd be a real pro!

Edit: Thread title of the year nominee.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a 6.5mm also
it wouldn't be the first time i was working on something and what was supposed to be there wasnt. anyway it sounds like me and you should never work on a vehicle together. there would be an ambulance ride involved with 2 people prone to self inflicted injuries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907