Gather round for a story of mechanical ineptitude and blisters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a 6.5mm also
it wouldn't be the first time i was working on something and what was supposed to be there wasnt. anyway it sounds like me and you should never work on a vehicle together. there would be an ambulance ride involved with 2 people prone to self inflicted injuries.

Ha! Amen to that

7mm for the kickplate, 5.5mm for the resistor, just go to the store and get those in a slightly better then dollar tree brand, oh and don't forget some band-aids :rolleyes:

Roger that. They don't seem rounded off but if I am feeling lazy I might just take the pliers route but I will probably end up rounding them off in that case which would bone me or the next guy down the road.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great laugh.

We all learn differently, but the important point is to learn and not repeat the same experiences. Looks like you need a second reinforcement experience to complete the learning process. LOL

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright gents. Have some updates. I tried a bunch of different sockets and low and behold the third 7mm socket I tried worked on the kick plate bolts. I only took two out and just spent the entire time kneeling on a towel in my gravel driveway hating life and pushing the semi flexible kick plate out of the way. I swear to god if you ever wanted to do the retrofit cabin air filter1- don't, and 2- take out more kick plate bolts. I did watch a youtube video where the guy used a bungie to hold tension on the kick plate but that would still suck in my opinion.

Everything else went smoothly with one exception. The plug that snaked around to the back of the blower motor was a royal ***** to unclip I tried many different angles and screw driver blades to get it to unclip but finally just brute forced it. The new clip went it and clicked so at least I didn't damage the female end on the blower motor. I dont think the video I watched on 1a auto where he changed it in a suburban the blower motor clip location looked the same but maybe it was..

Now every speed on my blower works! A few images for your entertainment.

Look at this crusty boi
Lw8li1b.jpg

My handywork on the blower motor clip on the old resistor
OGxef3I.jpg

Lastly a little easter egg found in the kickplate!
1Jlaumq.jpg
I cant find a date on it anywhere but id laugh if it was a winner 15 years ago and they lost it and couldn't find it.

Enjoy your day gents!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I swear to god if you ever wanted to do the retrofit cabin air filter1- don't, and 2- take out more kick plate bolts. I did watch a youtube video where the guy used a bungie to hold tension on the kick plate but that would still suck in my opinion.

And given your luck so far the bungee would let go and you would get injured AGAIN!

Glad you got it fixed.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Please enjoy the following story at the full expense of the skin on my thumb and pointer fingers. TLDR at bottom:

A few months ago speeds 1-4 on my AC/Heat stopped working. I didn't think too much of it at the time as speed 5 still worked and lets be honest--- if I am going to do anything I do it full sendso speed 5 is good enough amiriate? Some time passed and I again became interested in making my Tahoe less of a shitbox. A week or so ago I changed the high/low beam bulbs in my Tahoe so that basically makes me a certified master technician.

I researched what might be wrong with my AC system and settled on a blower motor resistor and watched a baller video on 1A auto's youtube channel on how to change it and figured it was a drop in the bucket compared to my vast mechanical skills (heh). At the same time I decided that I would change some of my interior bulbs over to LED bulbs. I had already changed the front map light bulbs to LED along with the license plate bulbs. All that remained as the middle and rear dome light bulbs.

Today my resistor came in the mail and I was super excited. My wife watched the boy this evening while I grabbed a knee pat and headed out to the driveway with my flathead and 7mm ratchet to change the blower motor resistor. To my horror I found that the 7mm socket was slightly too large for the bolts holding the kick plate up? 6mm was too small. I tried almost every socket I had around that size and none fit! I tried the 1/4 and so on. Like I said I am basically a mechanical genius so I knew what sizes to try (sarcasm).

Defeated and deflated I decided to change the bulbs in my dome lights for an easy win before giving up for the night as it was getting dark. Do you see where this is going?

I clamber into the back seat ready for an easy changeover and reach up and grip the middle dome light bulb with my right thumb and pointer finger and promptly burn the living tar out of them till they blister cause DUH I had the passenger door open for a long ass time trying to get the kick plate off to change my blower motor resistor.

I change the side switch activated dome light bulbs with LEDS- with all the doors closed and then am able to change the middle door activated bulb after a few minutes with no more skin-searing effects.

I changed the back dome with similar hilarity after leaving the barn doors open and reaching in while the dome light was on before climbing in the back and closing the doors so the bulb would cool off. I had no idea halogen bulbs get so DAMN HOT.

I hope you enjoyed the read and I have a serious question below.

TLDR: What do I do to get the kick plate bolts out to change my blower motor resistor on my 2004 Tahoe when 7mm is too big and 6mm is too small? Also plz send aloe cause I have blisters on both thumb and pointer fingers.

I am an ASE Master Tech and I have the scars to prove it. You are not Baptized in to the Master realm until you have forgotten how tall you are, I am 6'4", and you have a vehicle on the lift and you stand straight up from being in a stoop over and nail your head on something sharp, like maybe a exhaust clamp or a shock mount bolt, and come out of there bleeding like a stuck pig and holding your head with blood running out between your fingers and the other techs laughing their collective ***** off at your stupidity. Then and only then are you allowed to speak of your mechanical prowess.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am an ASE Master Tech and I have the scars to prove it. You are not Baptized in to the Master realm until you have forgotten how tall you are, I am 6'4", and you have a vehicle on the lift and you stand straight up from being in a stoop over and nail your head on something sharp, like maybe a exhaust clamp or a shock mount bolt, and come out of there bleeding like a stuck pig and holding your head with blood running out between your fingers and the other techs laughing their collective ***** off at your stupidity. Then and only then are you allowed to speak of your mechanical prowess.
I say “It ain’t yours until you bleed on it.” I have truly owned each of my vehicles and donated to many, many more.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I am an ASE Master Tech and I have the scars to prove it. You are not Baptized in to the Master realm until you have forgotten how tall you are, I am 6'4", and you have a vehicle on the lift and you stand straight up from being in a stoop over and nail your head on something sharp, like maybe a exhaust clamp or a shock mount bolt, and come out of there bleeding like a stuck pig and holding your head with blood running out between your fingers and the other techs laughing their collective ***** off at your stupidity. Then and only then are you allowed to speak of your mechanical prowess."

Or, like my youngest son, who attempted to pull the shifter knob off of the shifter stick on his Ford Ranger. He figured out that maximum leverage was needed, so he got down over it and pulled it with all of his might. And, the knob came off, straight up into his face, and he had a black eye for over 2 weeks. He did learn, though.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

"I am an ASE Master Tech and I have the scars to prove it. You are not Baptized in to the Master realm until you have forgotten how tall you are, I am 6'4", and you have a vehicle on the lift and you stand straight up from being in a stoop over and nail your head on something sharp, like maybe a exhaust clamp or a shock mount bolt, and come out of there bleeding like a stuck pig and holding your head with blood running out between your fingers and the other techs laughing their collective ***** off at your stupidity. Then and only then are you allowed to speak of your mechanical prowess."

Or, like my youngest son, who attempted to pull the shifter knob off of the shifter stick on his Ford Ranger. He figured out that maximum leverage was needed, so he got down over it and pulled it with all of his might. And, the knob came off, straight up into his face, and he had a black eye for over 2 weeks. He did learn, though.

Oh yea. I once was trying to unhook a park brake cable from a rear caliper and was using a pair of needle nose pliers to do so. I was puling pretty hard and the pliers slipped off and came right at my face and I stabbed my right cheek with the pointed end. Could have lost an eye if was 2" higher. That bled like crazy too.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im all set there then and does ripping your head open multiple times upgrade you to a guru or sage level? old motorhomes had a metal trim around the wheel wells that was just cut off razor sharp. i stood right up into that and got to get some nifty staples in my head. the other times wasn't quite so bad and let it do its own thing.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Blood is a badge of honor for sure. I am just thankful I have all my fingers in tact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645