fuel injection cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ive got a 1996 5.7 tahoe. 185,000 but previous owner replaced engine with a used one. no idea of the miles. runs well, no check engine lights. i replaced the fuel pump last year, cut a hole in the back, its a work truck. it always starts, fuel pressure good. it would crank for a second or 2, then start and run well. i was in the auto business for 28 yrs, used to have a snap on motorvac machine. i picked up a broken one and repaired it. i was dithering back and forth whether or not to use it on my tahoe. sometimes good enough is best left alone. anyway, curiousity got the better of me and i did the motorvac service. it was very easy, i just hooked it to the fuel lines coming out of the pump, as i had easy access thru the hole i made in the floor. it has a cover. harder to do it under the hood if you have to. a motorvac is basically like a heart lung machine. you set the fuel pressure to the spec of the vehicle, and the engine runs completely off of the gas/cleaner mix. cleans up the injectors, and importantly, all the built up carbon on the stem side of the intake valves. the built up carbon absorbes the fuel mixture from the manifold and make the computer try to constantly adjust to compensate. when its bad, it cant keep up. the carbon absorbes, the pcm enriches to compensate. then it goes too rick, and the pcm leans it out. then back to too rick, an endless cycle of inefficiancy.

anyway, after the service, the engine starts literally on the first or second revolution. its instant, no more lag. im hoping that also translates in more MPG, i think it will. overall , the service was a complete success. i didnt use the snap on cleaning fluid, they are robbers. i used sea foam cleaner , 3:1 gas to cleaner. 8 oz sea foam, 24 oz gas mixed.

ps- the other reason i like the hole/cover over the pump is i always fill the tank before a predicted storm. its great 30 gal fuel storage for my house generator. disconnect the return line to the pump, and run it into a gas can. run the truck or jump out the pump relay. it will fill a 5 gal can in minutes. like having a mini gas station.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess Seafoam poured in the tank and or sucked in a vacum line would do about the same. On cars where the EGR ports would clog I'd use Seafoam to soften the carbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094