Fuel economy before and after a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigilant

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of variables, but I was hoping we could compare notes.

2007 Tahoe PPV with about 136K, before, running 93 octane, about 16-16.5 combined, which is about what the EPA estimate is. After the tune, I drove 215 miles, filled up and did the math. 17.83 MPG with the same type of driving. That included a couple of good WOT stretches. Close enough to 18, and I can live with 18 combined. I'm hoping it might climb another 1/2 MPG or so as the tune and the vehicle spend more time together.

I asked for an emphasis on MPG, and hopefully no loss of power. Jenna was right, as usual. The power is improving, and is definitely better than before.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right, there are a lot of variables, from engine size, 2WD VS 4WD/AWD, gearing, etc. Then throw in the differences in tunes (max power VS mileage like yours).

My guess is most trucks don't gain much for mileage unless it's an "economy" tune. My 6.2 Tahoe 4X4 gained very little, but would leave the stock truck for dead in a race.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Style of driving has a lot to do with it also. Just taking off from a stop with a little less right foot makes a difference. Also, keeping under 70 helps.

OP
OP
Vigilant

Vigilant

Reaction score
Tahoe PPV is a 4X2 by default, with a 5.3.

I seldom run over 60 around here, since there are no Interstates.

Vortecmass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 07' 4.8L and before it had horrible MPG in the low 16's, now when i saw half tank a bit over 200 miles driven then there was a huge difference from previous 160's.. Im hoping i should be in the 18's soon.

New mods: 3" magnaflow cat back, 20" wheels and tires, front sway bar + lots of hwy traveling with criuse control under 70 mph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk