Fuel and oil additives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m the owner of 0 6 Tahoe z71 around 4 years now. Grabbed it with around 60,000 on it 3 years later I have 94,000 changes oil every 5,500-6,000 miles.... Hasn’t had a problem yet!
I think the key is getting them early and doing the maintenance right from the get go. Though many here can recognize the longevity of these vehicles so they pick them up over 100k, but with unknown maintenance. If the previous owner followed the indicators they were doing 8-10k oil changes, so God knows what that's doing to the motor.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, I’ve had Suburban’s (3) 2 Tahoe’s and 1 expedition. I sold gasoline for 30 years. Never I have I used any additional fuel additives, always running regular unleaded. Never have I had any engine problems. Regardless where you buy your gas, they must (by law) contain a m8nimum additive package. I will say, premium gives a touch better fuel economy, but not enough to justify 30-40c/gal price. E-85 cuts the range by 25% (400 miles to 300 miles per tank) so if it’s 25% cheaper, then use it, but I don’t like the loss in range

I also have never used any additional fuel additives. Managed to put 300K miles on 2 of my vehicles [mostly highway] and over 200K miles on the rest. I have always used plain old regular 87 octane. I have had Cadillacs,Impalas,Caprices,and a Town Car.

IMHO Mobil makes the best products. Their gas stations are well maintained. I do see supervisors out in the field at Mobil stations making sure everything perfect. I do have friends who have bought a tankful of dirt from other very busy gas stations.

As far as oil goes if you use Mobil 1 you should never have to add any additive providing you change it every 5-6K miles using a good filter. I use AC Delco filters.

All that is just IMHO and to each their own.

esoteric_ast

Reaction score
Mobil 1 in every car I have had since my 20s. 200-300k on each daily driver and 65 bottles of nitrous through my mustang and never so much as a hint of smoke. Never used additives except to stop a leak in my radiator so I could get home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts